[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
My Trip to Nintendo New York - Kirby's Rainbow Resort

Kirby's Rainbow Resort

Welcome back, Kirby fans. We missed us.
It is currently September 27th, 2020, 6:38 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ide
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2016, 6:11 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Return to Dream Land
My brother and I planning to visit New York City during the Victoria Day weekend (May 21–23). Why that weekend? Victoria Day is a Canadian holiday, which is on May 23 this year, so we are free. It would also be one week before Memorial Day, which would be when various attractions in New York City be extra crowded.

There, we would visit such fun places as the Metropolitan Museum of Art, American Museum of Natural History, and probably MoMA if time and budget willing, but definitely the Met, as it is "pay-as-much-as-you-want." While in that area, I would stroll in Central Park. I would also visit the Fifth Avenue Apple Store (aka the "Glass Cube"), and especially Nintendo New York, as well as eating the city's famous pizza (probably within the vicinity of Times Square), while travelling on the city's famous subway system. I wold visit FAO Schwarz, as I am a huge fan of plush toys (though they don't stock plush Kirby toys for obvious reasons (and is walking distance to Nintendo New York anyways)).

I may provide you with an early review of the English language version of Kirby: Planet Robobot even!

I will provide updates.

Yes, I do have a passport and will be leaving Toronto by train, as there are daily train trips between Toronto and New York City.

I am from Toronto, which is a city similar in size to Chicago.

I know my way around my own city extremely well. Yes, I have been to Chicago almost two decades ago and it was before it had the Cloud Gate sculpture (aka "The Bean").

Exploring downtown Toronto alone by foot is great practice for visiting Manhattan, as Toronto is much cleaner and safer than New York City or Chicago. Rats are rarely spotted in Toronto's subway system, unlike in New York City. Yes, I have studied and memorized the entire Toronto subway system since when I was young and am studying the New York City subway system as well.

Nintendo New York is just the Nintendo World Store rebranded and did not change its location at the Rockefeller Center at all.

By the time I visit Nintendo New York, it would be filled with Star Fox (due to Star Fox Zero being released) and Kirby (due to preparation for Robobot of course) merchandise. I would love to get my hands on more Kirby merchandise, as well as more plush Kirby toys as always.

I will be taking extensive photos of New York City (including Nintendo New York).

To those who visited or are from New York City, I am curious to know what I should expect there.

ide
PostPosted: May 4th, 2016, 1:06 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star Ultra
That's awesome! I happen to be from around that area, so it's weird to think that visiting a place that's normal to me is a special occasion for someone else. New York City can be overwhelming and kind of scary, but it's certainly manageable once you get used to it. I should give you some useful advice for once you enter New York City. What I'm about to say is gonna sound cynical, but it's very important that you know all of this, so please be sure to read it very carefully.

Once you're in NYC, the first thing you should do is get a Metrocard and store a good amount of money on it, if you haven't already. That will allow you access to all of the public transportation in the city, which is important because NYC's pretty big! Trust me, you'll want to use public transportation because going everywhere by foot is the easiest way to exhaust yourself. I prefer using the subway system because it's faster, but there's buses and taxis driving around the city, too. The city itself is set up like a grid so it's actually quite simple to navigate around it. Also, be sure to get your Metrocard from the underground machines near the subways and only from there because it's actually illegal to sell the cards yourself, so if someone offers to sell you one then they're trying to trick you.

Actually, if any stranger comes up to you on the street (as in, they're the ones who initiate the conversation) and offers to sell you something or flat out asks for money, don't give in to your kinder nature and accept because it's usually a trick to swindle you out of money or personal information. Those kinds of people usually target tourists and younger people because they don't know any better, so be very careful. Also be on the lookout for people who pickpocket! They don't make themselves obvious, so anyone who brushes against you in a crowd and says, "oh, sorry" could easily do it without you realizing until it's too late. It's impossible to stop them outright, but you can make it more difficult for them if they do decide to target you. I suggest spreading your on-hand money between different pockets (so if they take money from one pocket, they aren't taking all of it), wearing your carry-on bag tightly to your body and with the bag part of the bag over your front rather than your back, using zipped pockets, having a cheap "decoy" wallet with only a couple of single-dollar bills or Monopoly money (yes, really) while your actual wallet is more well-hidden, etc. This is why people aren't as outgoing, friendly, or trusting in NYC compared to other places; everyone's trying to trick you until they prove otherwise. I know it's not a pleasant thought, but you really do need to keep your guard up at all times, lest you leave the city empty-handed.

If you can, make sure to bring your own food and water bottle because food in NYC usually costs an arm and a leg, especially in the museum's cafes. If your water bottle is empty, you can refill it at a water fountain for free instead of buying a whole new bottle (trust me, you'll flip once you see how much a water bottle costs). They even have water fountains shaped like tiny sink faucets meant for refilling water bottles instead of drinking from them directly, but no one will really point them out because it shouldn't cost anything to use them.

One last thing: I know the buildings are big and tall and impressive-looking, but don't spend too much time looking up at them. I know that sounds kind of silly, but doing that is no better than wearing a big, flashing neon sign that says, "HEY, LOOK, EVERYONE! I'M A TOURIST!" and keeping in mind what I told you about how swindlers usually target tourists, that's kinda not the vibe you'll want to give off.

On a lighter note, as much as I love Nintendo NY, be sure to keep your expectations in check as far as its size goes since, as cool as it is and as much as I love the video game stands and exhibits (especially the massive screen that's upstairs where you can play the latest games), it's actually quite small. It's sort of disappointing when you compare its size to the nearby M&M's and LEGO stores, but it doesn't make it any less awesome to be there. Just don't go in expecting a huge theme park! It's definitely a store, but it's one of the coolest stores you could ever shop and play games in if you're a fan of Nintendo! They have tons of Amiibos, rare games (I actually bought Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn on the Wii from there, no strings attached), plush toys, tee-shirts, and it's even the home of that one Game Boy which was caught in the Gulf War and still works.

You should also visit Chinatown if you get the chance. It's almost like being in a different city there. There's a lot of Asian markets, and they have some of the best food that's actually worth the asking price. If you've ever wanted to visit Japan or any other Asian city but can't actually go to one, Chinatown's probably the next best thing.

ide
PostPosted: May 4th, 2016, 5:40 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Thanks so much for your advice, BlueAizu21.

We are planning to get a three-day Metrocard for the subway system, as we would stay in New York City for three days (and New York City doesn't have a day pass for its subway system, unlike Toronto).

As I said earlier, I am from Toronto (in other words, north of the border), which is a very large city, though not as large as New York City. I will have so much to learn when travelling to New York City, as Toronto's subway system does not have much pickpockets or swindlers in comparison.

We would bring some water bottles from Toronto to cut costs as well (and if we need snacks or water, there is always the grocery store or the convenience store).

We will try avoiding looking up (which I have learned by living in Toronto, which has many tall condominiums). When we visit Nintendo New York, we would also include visiting the Fifth Avenue Apple Store and FAO Schwartz in the itinerary, as they are in the same general area.

We would visit Manhattan's Chinatown as well (as much as Toronto already has numerous Chinatowns).

BlueAizu21, I would actually say the same thing if you were to visit Toronto in that what is familiar to me is unfamiliar to you (Toronto is just a smaller, cleaner, and safer New York City, but with many streetcars).

ide
PostPosted: May 5th, 2016, 1:45 am 
Son of Wind A_mystery
Son of Wind

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Mass Attack
Neat stuff, BlueAizu, I forgot to mention a farecard in the other thread, but it saved my butt when I was in LA. If you can get a weekend pass or something where you can ride as much as you want for a certain price, that can be very good too.

I don't know about pickpocketing being that common, I've never been pickpocketed before and I have walked around Chicago my whole life gazing at the buildings. I think it usually happens in crowded areas like a subway or an event where people are pressing against you all the time. But, New York could be different.

Definitely agree on Chinatown! I thought Chicago's Chinatown was cool, but LA's was amazing. I assume New York's is similar.

New York is cool, I've wanted to go there a long time. Toronto too, in fact. I didn't know about the streetcars, that's neat. I love streetcars.

ide
PostPosted: May 5th, 2016, 10:11 am 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

GSnail, if you were to visit Toronto, you should visit its downtown Chinatown (along with that city's other Chinatowns). Toronto's numerous Chinatowns are connected by a vast streetcar network. I visited Chicago's Chinatown (the one at Wentworth and Cermak) and it is smaller than Toronto's main Chinatown (at Spadina and Dundas). Yes, Toronto has a farecard (Presto), though it is in its preliminary stage.

Read here about .

Read here about .

New York City's along with Toronto's are two of the most expensive public transit projects (for single lines) in North America.

ide
PostPosted: May 5th, 2016, 10:39 am 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

As far as I know NYC doesn't have any streetcars whatsoever, so the concept's pretty alien to me! They do have horse carriages, though, which I think is pretty neat.

I also wasn't aware of other cities having their own Chinatowns, so I suppose that says a lot about my own worldly experience... or lack thereof.

But as far as those pickpocketers go, it's not necessarily a highly common occurrence; but it absolutely can happen when you least expect it, so it's best to always take measures and stay on guard. The entire world around you won't suddenly go quiet and start moving in slow motion as tremolo strings slowly build up when someone reaches for the wallet that's sticking out of your hypothetical back pocket; if done right, pickpocketing is instant and silent, almost like it was a ninja who did it.

If there's a similar monthly pass for NYC's transit, then I'm not aware of it since I (and everyone else I've been to the city with) always used the Metrocards.

ide
PostPosted: May 5th, 2016, 4:14 pm 
Son of Wind A_mystery
Son of Wind

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Mass Attack
Yeah, there aren't streetcars in Chicago either. I've only seen them at the rail museum.

A great thing to get at (any) Chinatown is an avocado smoothie. They sell them at some Chinese restaurants anywhere, but since there are (naturally) so many Chinese restaurants in Chinatown, you're bound to find at least one that sells it. It's really good.

ide
PostPosted: May 9th, 2016, 12:52 pm 
FIRE FIRE FIRE MWAHAHAHA Male
FIRE FIRE FIRE MWAHAHAHA

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star
Nintendo New York is an awesome freaking store, no doubt. I go there every time I visit NYC, and it is worth it every single time.

When I went there last time, the Star Fox and Iwata muppets were all on display on the second floor. In fact, there's an entire section of the second floor that serves as a museum for Nintendo. Pure awesome.

ide
PostPosted: May 14th, 2016, 7:34 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

My trip has been postponed to late June for financial reasons.

ide
PostPosted: May 20th, 2016, 6:53 pm 
Watch out, I bite! Male
Watch out, I bite!

That's a shame that your trip has been postponed, I hope you have a good time when you're finally able to go. The store is rather small though, and I wouldn't advise going when there's a special event or release date for a game. It gets pretty crowded, sometimes the lines extend pretty far outdoors too. I go there every once and a while since I live in NYC.

Last edited by GrnFzzTgr on May 20th, 2016, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ide
PostPosted: May 20th, 2016, 9:27 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Definitely not June 10th (or its weekend of June 11th and June 12th) then.

I would visit there on a different weekend then.

ide
PostPosted: May 20th, 2016, 10:59 pm 
Watch out, I bite! Male
Watch out, I bite!

I should probably clarify. I wouldn't go when there's a BIG release, such as Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, or something nintendo has been really hyping up/marketing. Kirby releases in my experience have been fine there. I got KSSU a day early on (which was my birthday) there. Certainly good days to get Kirby merchandise.

ide
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2016, 1:50 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

I just realized that Kirby Planet Robobot won't actually be out in NA until June 10, so I'm certain that Nintendo NY could be quite a bit livelier than it usually is in June. Kirby's not as big as Mario, Zelda or Pokémon, but it could still be more crowded than it usually is.

I still have bad memories about the midnight release party of Pokémon X and Y. It was terrible; the line extended around several blocks. No joke, it was the longest line I've ever had the misfortune to end up waiting on, and I left the place empty-handed. Let me tell you, I'm no stranger to waiting on long lines since I go to NY Comic Con every October (except last year; I didn't get a ticket quickly enough), but that... You'd have to pitch a tent and camp out early to have a good spot on a line like that one. I didn't even get to attend the launch party, let alone see it. I was lucky I managed to get on the line in the first place since there were officers there whose sole job was to prevent the line from becoming any longer.

That's an extreme example of how "lively" it can get, but it does happen! I know, I was there!

ide
PostPosted: June 27th, 2016, 12:48 am 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

I got to visit Nintendo New York. It was great fun and everything went well. However, food and transportation (especially since we stayed at a hotel in North Bergen, NJ) were expensive.

I bought myself quite a large number of plush Kirby toys.

Note that the giant zippable bag is not from Nintendo New York; I use it to keep the plush toys free of dust.

I also got a deck of Kirby playing cards as well. Since I spent over $50 on plush Kirby toys and those playing cards, I got a free Yoshi keychain (thanks to an offer from a mini-card given out at Newark Liberty International Airport).

I got to try out Zelda: Breath of the Wild as well. It is going to be my new favourite Zelda game.

Here is a fun photo:

This photo is evidence that Kirby was found atop the RCA Building at 30 Rockefeller Center in midtown Manhattan when the building was under construction.

ide
PostPosted: July 13th, 2016, 12:57 pm 
Watch out, I bite! Male
Watch out, I bite!

I hate you. Don't you know I'm terrified of heights!? Glad you enjoyed yourself.

ide
PostPosted: July 13th, 2016, 9:55 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable