[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
Different Double Reflections - Kirby's Rainbow Resort

Kirby's Rainbow Resort

Welcome back, Kirby fans. We missed us.
It is currently October 22nd, 2020, 5:06 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ide
PostPosted: June 13th, 2016, 3:51 pm 
Water Drop A_mystery
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Return to Dream Land
So the latest If contest is over! I thought it might be fun to post a topic so people can talk about it; you know, reflect, comment, etc.

Seems like a lot of new blood came out of the woodworks for this one; aside from Koikoi, the Bogg brothers, and Kirazy, most of the entries were from new faces. Go figure.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this one, really. The If contests are one of my favorite features of the site, so I was exited for it all the same, but I was a little skepical of the theme. But to my surprise, there were a lot of cool entries! Grnated, there were some pretty sucky ones too, but sturgeon's law and all that.

As for the winners, I mostly agree with them. I like Von Veno more in hindsight; while the design and art were always neat, I always thought the lingering poison cloud was too complex for a regular foe in a Kirby game, but when Planet Robobot came out, it turns out one of Poison's moves is very similar.

It was nice seeing my own creation getting a nomination in Gobbo's picks. I sort of saw it coming, seeing as how Ometon praised it and the Bogg brothers have very similar taste, but it was still nice. Personally, Prankin' Fool is my favorite, but I'm still happy to see Biobark get a nomination.

I wonder what the next contest will be about? Personally, I'm hoping for a repeat of the Mini-Boss making competition; I had a lot of fun making Prankin' Fool, and would love a chance to fully stretch my creative muscles and create some from the ground up.

ide
PostPosted: June 13th, 2016, 6:00 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star Ultra
I really enjoyed participating in my first Interactive Fandom contest, and I loved seeing what everyone else submitted, too! I'm a little saddened my own entry (Kamezzo & Fire Poppy) didn't fare better, but I have no qualms whatsoever about the chosen entries. Splatter Hatter, Von Venom, and Dandy were my favorites of the bunch, and I thought Shroomy Woods was an excellent idea! Just the fact that it was a double of a boss character was enough to make it stand out from the crowd, so I was disappointed that it seemed to just barely miss making the list. All-in-all, it was a great way to start a new era for Rainbow Resort.

I'm happy I could get an honorable mention for my provided artwork, at least! Nowhere to go but up, right?

ide
PostPosted: June 15th, 2016, 8:27 am 
Waddle Doo Male
Waddle Doo

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 3
I always yell at Gobbo for not posting these wrap-ups as an update themselves. Now it is possible for people not to know that the contest is even over.

ide
PostPosted: June 15th, 2016, 2:23 pm 
Water Drop A_mystery
Water Drop

ide
PostPosted: June 15th, 2016, 2:33 pm 
Puff in Training Male
Puff in Training

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Air Ride

“ ‘So how are you doing?’ ‘Fine, good, fine, just wallowing around in self-pity. Wait, I mean self-actualization. I am so actual right now.’ ”

ide
PostPosted: June 16th, 2016, 2:08 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

ide
PostPosted: June 17th, 2016, 2:31 am 
Son of Wind A_mystery
Son of Wind

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Mass Attack
Oh, I didn't realize it was over, either!

The contest was really fun, I loved seeing everyone's entries. Can't wait for the next one!

ide
PostPosted: June 17th, 2016, 9:14 am 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

Well I noticed just now that the contest finished!

I always loved these creativity contests, and I'm very happy that my creation ended in top 5, even if with a tie.
There were lots of very interesting entries as well,I enjoyed reading all the stuff, and honestly I almost never voted negative, because they were all interesting in some way (if I remember, I only voted negative only once, or a couple of times, I can't remember).

I also liked the theme of the contest a lot, it was unconventional enough to surprise me.
Thank you all!

ide
 Post subject: Doh
PostPosted: June 19th, 2016, 6:06 pm 
Uncle Gobbo Male
Uncle Gobbo

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 2
Oh. Whoops.
See, I thought the iron was rather cold at this point (seeing as, again, the finale was written some weeks ago and was meant to be posted some weeks before that) and didn't think there would be enough care? to have a full article made for the wrapping-up. Really, I barely see the initial posting as having much merit. What, about a dozen folks have interest in them? Then again, I guess a dozen is a good number in the revival days?

I forget what the next one was supposed to be. It was gonna be a Planet Robobot robot suit/copy ability thing, but I dunno if that'd be too soon to do it. Kinda wanted a bit of time for people to play and digest the game. Granted, that was before things got delayed a month. Dunno if July will have a spacer or not.

ide
 Post subject: Re: Doh
PostPosted: June 19th, 2016, 11:15 pm 
Water Drop A_mystery
Water Drop

ide
PostPosted: June 20th, 2016, 11:53 pm 
Puff in Training Male
Puff in Training

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Air Ride
38 sprites plus several extras, Kamezzo and Fire Poppy Bro being a duo entry meaning just one entry did not have a sprite due to it being based off an enemy with no sprite (Gemiror). Also the image is really big so to actually see it you'll have to click on it, then right-click on the image that comes up and choose view image or whatever, maybe it's different depending on the browser.

Some remarks on the sprites:
-Jungle Dan was the first one based off an entry I did, of course. Went okay.
-Gemie was the first where I had to add in something totally new (the hat).
-Von Veno was the first with an entirely new shape. The glass is intended to be transparent.
-Dr. Kawasaki did not go too well I don't think. I also forgot he was supposed to be thinner?
-Once again, thanks to Veech for the easy edit
-Wispy Skull was most or less just the Skully skull put on top of the Plasma Wisp, and then to make it look more like the image the plasma was stretched to the side.
-Cloud Wisp was actually a bit complicated due to the, well, wisps atop the head.
-Splatter Hatter, unfortunately, did not go very well at all. Hey, maybe Griscuit's sprite went better!
-Biobark's wrappings I wanted to make look more like leaves, but I couldn't quite figure out how to do that. And its stick is based entirely on The Stick from Homestar Runner.
-Regarding Super Bouncy, I can only say the KCC sprites are weird and like every pixel is a different color?? They're like jpeg sprites or something.
-Cacti Sam turned out so much better than I expected that it's amazing.
-I have to admit I have little to no idea what's going on with Neural Joe.
-Give Mega Apollo glasses, BAM, Fawful. M...More on that later??
-Kamezzo's feet pattern... I tried to make it longer but it absolutely did not work out.
-Hot Spook turned out a lot better than I expected, too.
-Luchead originally had more colors in line with its artwork, but it's a KDL2 sprite, so more than one color and it's kind of inaccurate.
-And then giant Whispy sprite. I was originally going to use the KSSU sprite but it was waaay too detailed for me to care. Then I tried KNID. ... Same thing. So I went down to KSS. Afterwards I realized KMA had Whispy and the sprite was probably better AND less complicated than even the KSS one! Oh well.
-Kamo I literally just flipped 90 degrees then used Gimp to alter the hue/lightness/saturation, because, again, weird KCC sprites.
-I'm not sure if Ice Blocky could really walk...
-Regarding Prankin' Fool: HYUK HYUK HYUK
-Kabewla of course was sprited for the contest, so it was done before any of the others.
-I didn't even realize Pteran had sprites until I was skimming the enemy sprites and saw it, so it almost got skipped.
-Went with Ice Elememumbie because it seemed the easiest to go with.
-huvr can mover
-Finally, a couple extras. I was looking at Needlous in RTDL and was thinking how it was an adorable little sluggy thing but it couldn't be hugged because it has spikes WAIT THAT'S LIKE THE OMETON. So I made a bonus Ice ability Needlous. I didn't submit it because it's literally just The Ometon... with stripes? And a more sluggy shape?
-Finally, because I am a Fawful fan, Fawfulized Kirby enemies. Waddle Dee's "mouth" is actually just a cloth hanging from its shoulders. So. It's a veil? And Scarfy turned out waaaay creepier than I'd planned.

“ ‘So how are you doing?’ ‘Fine, good, fine, just wallowing around in self-pity. Wait, I mean self-actualization. I am so actual right now.’ ”

ide
PostPosted: June 21st, 2016, 12:22 am 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

That's an amazing work, so fast also! :smile:

I think that the if contests are what really separates KRR from any other Kirby community, especially now that there are wikis and reddit. I wouldn't mind if they become the main feature of the site in the future...

ide
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2016, 2:30 pm 
Son of Wind A_mystery
Son of Wind

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Mass Attack
Wow! They all look so cool in sprite form. Great work!

Yeah, I noticed that about CC sprites when trying to make a dedede smiley from the CC sprite, it's really interesting. Maybe it's the source of the painterly look of the game.

I love the fawful enemies! Fawful Squeaker!

ide
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2016, 3:04 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

Good job with the sprites, Duth Olec! It's really cool to see the Different Double entries as sprites!
The Fawfulized enemies are a neat little bonus. too.

I'm starting to think that the IF contests will end up becoming Rainbow Resort's way of standing out in the Kirby community myself. In this day and age of using wikis and Reddit to absorb information (much like Kirby absorbing his enemies), I think Rainbow Resort focusing more on the fan-made side of things would be the most standout-ish approach to take.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable