[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
Addition of rules prohibiting politics, religion, and social issues - Kirby's Rainbow Resort

Kirby's Rainbow Resort

Welcome back, Kirby fans. We missed us.
It is currently September 29th, 2020, 4:47 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ide
PostPosted: June 9th, 2016, 7:29 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Return to Dream Land
It would be good if KRR has rules prohibiting the discussion of politics, religion, and social issues. There are millions of other avenues to discuss politics, religion, and social issues and they are very divisive.

We should also prohibit the discussion about controversies involving video games in general and their communities in general. We should focus on those that pertain specifically to the Kirby fandom and closely allied fandoms.

ide
PostPosted: June 9th, 2016, 7:39 pm 
Star General A_mystery
Star General

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 3
Location: It's crazy that I'm using this like an "About Me" section, right? Anyways, I lost interest in Kirby.
I agree about politics and religion, but this site is about a video game community. That would pretty much mean the forums would have to be shut down, or worse...

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUNN.

It would become a toxic and strict site like Animal Crossing Community. I HATE that site.

... oh look, I broke one of the pretend rules. Uhhh...

If you’re ever feeling lonely, watch this video:
https://youtu.be/mie-3U3H3iY

ide
PostPosted: June 9th, 2016, 8:22 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

I mean video game controversies such as that contentious one that ends in -gate. Those should not be discussed here. Controversies that surround the Kirby games and the Kirby community however would be permitted.

ide
PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 7:51 am 
Star General A_mystery
Star General

Location: It's crazy that I'm using this like an "About Me" section, right? Anyways, I lost interest in Kirby.
What do you mean contentious? What does in -gate mean? Ugh.

ide
PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 8:37 am 
Water Drop A_mystery
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby: Planet Robobot
Considering this sort of thing does not appear to have been a problem, I don't see the point in adding rules about it yet.

Let's just be chill about this.

ide
PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 2:09 pm 
Star General A_mystery
Star General

But Fubaka, don't you know if we were chill about this, we would freeze up and die?

Ugh.

ide
PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 2:33 pm 
Puff in Training Male
Puff in Training

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Air Ride
*puts up a sign that reads "Down with King Dedede"*

POLITICS!!!

Somehow I doubt there will be any Kirby-related controversies besides "why does nintendo insist on releasing the games globally months after japan". I'm also not sure why a rule against it would need to be made. Just bringing it up at random would probably not be on-topic, but if an actual topic to discuss it were made, you could proceed to not read that topic, and, as everyone knows, ignoring it makes it go away. Yay! (This is also why Dedede is still king; no one can ignore him.) Basically I don't see it as a problem provided people don't break the existing rules, whatever those are. It's sure not like I've read 'em.

Oh, wait. *puts up another sign extolling Dark Matter as a god*

“ ‘So how are you doing?’ ‘Fine, good, fine, just wallowing around in self-pity. Wait, I mean self-actualization. I am so actual right now.’ ”

ide
PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 4:31 pm 
Star General A_mystery
Star General

Wow, you're really good at explaining weird stuff like this.

IGNORE THE EVIL.

ide
PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 6:31 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

ide
PostPosted: June 13th, 2016, 6:21 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star Ultra
As a general (personal) rule, the best way to deal with mentions of real life politics, religion, and social issues in inappropriate contexts is to not even bring them up in the first place, and to just ignore them if they are brought up. People only get outraged when they allow themselves to be, whether it's for a good reason or not, and right now I don't think anyone with an active account here is that argumentative. As someone already mentioned, the Kirby series isn't exactly rife with this sort of subject matter, and on the off chance that it is it's certainly pretty well hidden, so I don't imagine that a rule which outright prohibits talking about it is really necessary for the time being. Kirby, exploding bloody eyeballs and zombified secret bosses with blood-curling death screams aside, is quite innocent so a forum about Kirby isn't the first place I'd go for political discussions, anyway.Tumblr isn't one of my first choices, either, but for entirely different reasons I'd rather not get into.

ide
PostPosted: June 15th, 2016, 9:01 am 
Waddle Doo Male
Waddle Doo

The "-gate" suffix refers to Gamergate.

Gamergate Gamergate Gamergate Gamergate #gamergate~!

Look at that, I said its name five times and didn't summon a corrupt gaming news site to try and censor me~!

KRR already has rules about not being mean to one another. Saying what is and what is not exactly on or off topic is exactly the thing an Authoritarian dictatorship would do so that they can control what was allowed and what was not allowed in these forums by applying their own malleable interpretation to an already fuzzy definition.

Y'know, like the people who were in charge here before.

Very specific rules tend to get applies to whomever a mod does not like. "Politics" or "social issues" can meet some incredibly broad definitions, so it is more likely that only people who disagree with a certain ideology will be the ones to act on it. That, or we would have to act on a lot of things on the off chance that someone finds the discussion "problematic".

I mean, just look at Technology Tunnels. Do you know the battles that have been fought over things like Mobile Operating System of Choice? You may think it is innocuous, but yes, open software versus the capitalist (and, in the case of Apple, social engineering) machine has claimed many a (virtual) life.
The only reason the topic isn't contentious is because none of our members are being contentious about it.

I don't believe in making the people live in fear. Instead of saying "Is this going to get me banned for arbitrary reasons?" they should instead say "Am I being a huge jerk to anyone right now?"

The problem that The Kirby Club ran into (yes, those guys again) was that they created an entire forum for just this sort of thing called Dedede Dungeon. The idea was that it would siphon all of the unpleasantry away from the other forums, but instead, it created and amplified it.

I've already seen some Tumblrcreep in some of the new members here, and it is forming quite the sweatdrop hovering slightly above my head and toward the direction of the nearest viewer. However, just like Dedede Dungeon, calling out this sort of thing specifically -- whether promoting or censoring -- will just make it worse. This is because if someone feels like they are being censored (even under a blanket "no politics/social issues" rule) the web-o-sphere can rain down the pain if they even feel they have been slighted.

Kirby is not a magnet for these hot issues, and I feel that if people did want to make some idiotic and controversial claims about the series that they would go to an echo chamber like the aforementioned Tumblr so they could absorb all of that confirmation bias.

I think the two rules with which I replaced the Old Guard's work fine:

1) Don't be a jerk
2) Have fun~!

I echo Fubaka's sentiment. (Dat Gordo's really cool, isn't dat Gordo? [I've been pretty harsh to Tumblr so far, so I guess I gotta lighten up on them a bit.]) If some cult movement suddenly decides that this forum would be a good recruitment ground for some reason, yeah, we may need some new rules, but until that happens, I see no reason to burden our law- and moral-abiding citizens.

ide
PostPosted: June 15th, 2016, 2:23 pm 
Water Drop A_mystery
Water Drop

ide
PostPosted: June 15th, 2016, 3:07 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

I would like some clarification on the definition of "jerk." One person's jerkish attitudes is different from another's.

ide
PostPosted: June 15th, 2016, 4:13 pm 
Star General A_mystery
Star General

How do I know if I'm a jerk? I'm very corrupted.

Very, very corrupted.

ide
PostPosted: June 15th, 2016, 10:16 pm 
Waddle Doo Male
Waddle Doo

ide
PostPosted: June 15th, 2016, 10:42 pm 
Star General A_mystery
Star General

Yeah, I'm stupid, and look, I'm peeerrrrfectly fine.

ide
PostPosted: June 16th, 2016, 8:00 am 
Water Drop A_mystery
Water Drop

ide
PostPosted: July 31st, 2016, 9:34 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

There have been some discussions about the similarity between President Haltmann from Planet Robobot and a certain American aspiring to be president (they were on the Kirby subreddit a few months ago).

Are we allowed to discuss that?

ide
PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 12:55 am 
FIRE FIRE FIRE MWAHAHAHA Male
FIRE FIRE FIRE MWAHAHAHA

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star
That sounds like a horrible idea. Restricting freedom of speech of such a broad topic isn't something that this forum should be doing.

Besides, we're a very, very small community as it is. It's not like we're going to erupt into a Reddit main page flamewar or anything.

ide
PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 4:33 pm 
Star General A_mystery
Star General

I guess President Haltmann wants to make Pop Star great again.

Ok, I'm done with the jokes.

Jaguar's not joking when he(she?) says we're on a small forum. A verrrrryyy small forum. Look, I'm an idiot, but did we have to continue this? The staff isn't even active in terms of the forum anymore. It's best if we let things go for a while...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable