Kirby's Rainbow Resort

Back to life so many times we should get our own comic~!
It is currently May 19th, 2022, 11:46 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Which mobile operating system do you use?
Android 53%  53%  [ 10 ]
iOS 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
Nintendo 3DS 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Windows Mobile 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Other 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes: 19
ide
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2016, 2:54 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Which one do you primarily use? Please vote above and state your rationale. Note that you can change your vote later, in case you get a new mobile device that uses a different operating system.

What is meant by mobile includes smartphones, tablets, and handheld video game systems, but excluding laptops (since they primarily use desktop operating systems instead).

Me, I use Android.

Last edited by The Kirbinator on June 2nd, 2016, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ide
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2016, 5:00 pm 
Water Drop Female
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Squeak Squad
I usually use Android or my 3DS. Android is the one I use most of the time, though.

ide
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2016, 7:02 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star Ultra
My smartphone runs on Android, so that's my reasoning. I do have a 3DS, but with a smartphone that has 4G and a vastly superior internet browser easily available, what's the point?
I had an iPod Touch before I got a smartphone, so that's what I used before I upgraded. It filled the "smartphone" gap pretty nicely while it lasted, but it was always forced to upgrade its OS so that eventually caused it to stop running well. What I like about Android phones is that older models aren't forced to upgrade to an OS they can't handle.

ide
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2016, 9:14 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby: Planet Robobot
In iOS, the closest I've seen to all-out forced updates, which was in Windows 10, is the forced downloads of software updates. However, forced downloads is already bad enough. We have seen this since shortly after iOS 7 was released in September 2013. A forced update could eat up cellular data when connected to it without your knowledge. You do not want to pay extra bills just because of an unwanted download. As BlueAizu21 said, updates could decrease the performance of older devices. Apple's official website still does not warn about possible performance issues when upgrading. Compatibility issues when upgrading is also another thing to bring up. It may not always happen, but there is always a possibility that it can. I believe companies should not meddle with the users' decisions to upgrade their operating system.

ide
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2016, 11:07 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Apple is not consistent about forced updates.

iOS updates are forced, yet Mac updates are optional.

ide
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2016, 9:13 pm 
Son of Wind A_mystery
Son of Wind

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Mass Attack
I don't get forced updates on my iPad. I'm something like three updates behind, I can never be bothered to do it. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it?

I also have an android phone, and I think that when my old iPad finally bites the dust, I will switch to an android tablet. I just like it better. On the other hand, I prefer Mac laptops to windows, though my current laptop is windows.

ide
PostPosted: June 4th, 2016, 4:23 pm 
Great Ace A_mystery
Great Ace

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 3
I usually use a 2DS, but sometimes I use my father's laptop, which has Windows on it.

If you’re ever feeling lonely, watch this video:
https://youtu.be/mie-3U3H3iY

ide
PostPosted: June 5th, 2016, 5:00 pm 
Waddle Doo Male
Waddle Doo

Why no Replicant?

Yeah, yeah, nobody uses Replicant.

But why no Cyanogenmod?

ide
PostPosted: June 5th, 2016, 9:50 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star Ultra
I guess "Other" could cover Replicant and... that other thing.

It's been a long time since I've used my old iPod Touch so my memory is fuzzy about the forced updates thing. I don't think the updates were forced in a way that's like, "restarting your device in 10 minutes for the latest OS update," but I think it was done in ways which were more indirect, such as "this app is no longer compatible with this version of iOS, please upgrade" if I remember correctly. I didn't think anything of it at the time so I just went with it, and I realized a little too late what was really going on: support for the older versions of iOS are terminated and only the newest version receives any updates and new apps. It felt like some underhanded tactic to force me to upgrade to a new device once I did realize since the iPod Touch was as slow as molasses by the time I was ready to say "goodbye" to it. My mom also used an iPhone 4S for a few years, but recently it's stopped working reliably and its battery dies very quickly, which I think is a result of it running a newer version of iOS it couldn't handle.

I do like Android better than iOS because it's easier to customize it to your liking, the only OS the device has is the one it's shipped with, and it's also supported by a much wider range of devices so if you do need to replace it with a new one, you won't be locked out of the stuff you bought on the service. The only drawback I can think of is that if you're a developer there's a lot more compatibility issues you'd need to take into account if you're planning on releasing an app on the Google Play store due to the vast amount of devices Android supports.

ide
PostPosted: June 6th, 2016, 1:41 am 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby: Planet Robobot
Quote:
...that other thing.
I guess... Blackberry OS?

ide
PostPosted: June 8th, 2016, 10:20 am 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star
I am currently using android 6 (Cyanogenmod) Currently the stock dialer is broken, so yeah. Better than the stock rom where the camera stopped working at some point (It constantly said it was used by something else - when only the camera was running) I personally think android 6 is better than 5, even though all the confusion with portable storge and stuff. It finally supports multiple partitions on the SD! And ext4! And the SD card gets mounted immediately, instead of after a minute or so.

ide
PostPosted: June 9th, 2016, 7:52 am 
Waddle Doo Male
Waddle Doo

Mtgxyz knows the score.

ext4life!

ide
PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 1:52 pm 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star
Sadly, nintendo3ds, wii and ext4 conflict each other.
They are using FAT16 inside their internal memory after all (although slightly *cough* AES-128 *cough* encrypted)

ide
PostPosted: June 12th, 2016, 3:25 pm 
Puff in Training A_mystery
Puff in Training

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Squeak Squad
My phone and tablet are both Androids, so that's what I currently use whenever I'm out and about. Before that, though, I used iOS because an iPod Touch was all I had at the time. I don't think I've ever actually used my 3DS's internet browser. But I did use the one on my DSi every once in a while.

ide
PostPosted: June 16th, 2016, 12:34 am 
Sword Power! Female
Sword Power!

I usually use my iPad for browsing the Internet, but my phone is an Android device, however I usually use it just to play games and basically do what all phones do (calls and texts). I think I might have used the browser on my 3DS a couple of times, but I simply find browsing almost exclusively with my iPad more convenient so I do not have to exit out of whatever game I am playing on my 3DS. I also tried to use the browser on my DSi a couple of times, but my goodness, that thing was really slow, so I just used a computer back then. I think the layout for the 3DS browser drives me nuts, despite it being faster, though. :tongue:

ide
PostPosted: June 20th, 2016, 9:28 pm 
Puff in Training Male
Puff in Training

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
I use my Ipad for most internet browsing, but my Nokia runs Windows Phone, so that's what I've put down.

ide
PostPosted: August 12th, 2016, 12:09 pm 
Mirror Power! A_mystery
Mirror Power!

I use iOS, but I do prefer / want android instead.

ide
PostPosted: October 1st, 2019, 7:07 am 
Life, the universe, and everything. Male
Life, the universe, and everything.

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby: Triple Deluxe
iOS, It’s what I’ve always used and I’m just in love with it xD It feels so premium in my opinion and runs very smoothly, never had any problems with it. I also have an android phone (Razer 2) which I have been neglecting because my service provider doesn’t support it HOWEVER I do think that it has a nice version android on it and would definitely switch over to it had it had service.

ide
PostPosted: October 1st, 2019, 8:17 am 
WAR! What it isn't good for. HUNH A_mystery
WAR! What it isn't good for. HUNH

ANDROID.
I don't like IOS.

ide
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2019, 11:09 am 
THE PINK KIRBY Female
THE PINK KIRBY

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 2
I hate that Google's been trying REAL hard recently to ape Apple's style. It means Android is just kinda turning into a poor man's iOS.

I prefer Android, but if the choice becomes between iOS and Bad iOS, I don't want to stick with the bad one.