[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
Am I the only one to prefer super abilities to Hypernova? - Kirby's Rainbow Resort

Kirby's Rainbow Resort

Welcome back, Kirby fans. We missed us.
It is currently August 15th, 2020, 12:52 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hypernova or Super Abilities?
Hypernova 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Super Abilities 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
I prefer some Super Abilities over Hypernova, but not others. 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
They both rock! 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
They both suck. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 10
ide
PostPosted: April 17th, 2016, 7:21 pm 
Water Drop A_mystery
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Return to Dream Land
While this probably isn't universal, it seems like the general consenus is that Triple Deleuxe's Hypernova was more engaging than Return's Super Abilities. My question is: why?

From what I understand, the reason is that Hypernova Kirby involves more puzzle solving and unique fights. In theroy, I can understand that, but my problem is is that it's always the same puzzle-wait for an opening, inhale. Which is pretty much exactly what you did with super abilities.

Now, you might argue that, while Hypernova Kirby may not be that varied, but at least beats the super abilities. The thing is, after using a super ability, you would go though a abilityless segment and then fight a sphere doomer. While Super Abilities themselves might not be as interesting as Hypernova, they were always followed up by a unique segment.

And finally, Super abilities had Snow Bowl. That thing was FUN.

ide
PostPosted: April 17th, 2016, 10:23 pm 
Knuckle Joe Male
Knuckle Joe

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
I liked Super Abilities too, Hypernova was too basic of a gimmick to me and reminded me of the powered inhales back in Amazing Mirror.

ide
PostPosted: April 17th, 2016, 10:39 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby: Planet Robobot
Super Abilities, you say? Sure. I'll take Super Abilities over Hypernova any day. Hypernova was too bland compared to most other gimmicks in the Kirby series.

ide
PostPosted: April 18th, 2016, 5:57 am 
Water Drop Male
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 3
I prefered Hypernova but I think they implemented it in a boring way... some puzles and bosses were clever but so slow and easy that really became old very fast. I feel that rising the difficulty and speed of the Hypernova sections a bit would have made the gimmick a lot more interesting.

ide
PostPosted: April 18th, 2016, 1:36 pm 
Son of Wind A_mystery
Son of Wind

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Mass Attack
I actually thought the gray level and sphere doomer segment got repetitive. And there was just no puzzle or anything to the super abilities. I think both gimmicks were really bland, but hypernova was miles above the super abilities.

I agree that the hypernova sections could have used a speed up or something to raise the difficulty. I don't think you could have raised the difficulty on something that just razed through everything on the screen, like the super abilities did. Snow bowl had one good puzzle, though, but not enough to save the whole gimmick.

ide
PostPosted: April 18th, 2016, 2:00 pm 
Water Drop A_mystery
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
I think both actually have the same fundamental problems. Both are pretty overused in their games and they are pretty much click 1 Button or B Button to win but I think Triple Deluxe has the edge for actually making some puzzles with the Hypernova ability. Also, some of the Super Abilities aren't really that fun for me...

ide
PostPosted: April 18th, 2016, 2:21 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby: Planet Robobot
Ultra Sword may have been aesthetically good. Snow Bowl seems to be the most fun of the five Super Abilities when it comes to gameplay. The magic was lost the second time you used them. Well, I guess I really guess both would need quite some improvement if they ever get reused.

ide
PostPosted: April 18th, 2016, 9:43 pm 
Waddle Doo Male
Waddle Doo

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 3
In their defense, the Hammer and Beam were (occasionally) puzzles; you had to light up everything in one go with the Flare Beam, and you had to line up the blocks with the Hammer. It wasn't the most difficult puzzle in Kirbydom, but a puzzle nonetheless.

In Extra, the Super Abilities have less time to be used, but it is still way more than you need to unlock the Sphere Doomer. If the Super Abilities became more about precision in a time frame, I think it would have been an incredibly unique/frustrating feature, but I guess there is a limit to how difficult you can make a Kirby game.

Can you imagine if you had to make Sweet Jumps with the Snow Bowl? Kinda like the snowboarding in Epic Yarn.

Or maybe if the Super Enemy was at least hidden instead of appearing in a flash of "Eat me, schmuck~!" Once you start seeing the starry blocks, you'd realize "Oh snaps, I gotta find a super ability!"

ide
PostPosted: April 18th, 2016, 10:10 pm 
Puff in Training Female
Puff in Training

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Return to Dream Land
To me, Hypernova was actually more repetitive than the Super Abilities - it might have been better in concept but like IrritatedFern said, there wasn't a lot of variation in what you had to do, generally speaking. Hypernova sections also usually took a really long time to complete which could be frustrating at times - it often seemed like you had to defeat the exact same giant enemy over and over (the giant eels that lives in pipes come to mind). The Super Abilities had more variation since there were 5 of them, and although they may have had less depth individually, they were just more fun to use. Breaking stuff is fun!

ide
PostPosted: April 21st, 2016, 8:26 am 
Puff in Training Male
Puff in Training

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star Ultra
Both kinda seemed more or less of glorified "Win Buttons", they were still fun but I wish there was more of a challenge in getting them. I mean Super Abilities had enemies to defeat but all of these enemies with the exception of Super Bonkers, were somehow weaker than thier normal counterparts.

If I had to pick it'd be Super Abilities, felt overall less repetitive. Snow Bowl was really fun too.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable