Kirby's Rainbow Resort

Back to life so many times we should get our own comic~!
It is currently December 5th, 2021, 11:06 am

All times are UTC-04:00

ide
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2021, 9:26 pm 
Super Star Male
Super Star

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
A new Kirby game just got announced in today's Nintendo Direct! It's called Kirby and the Forgotten Land and it features Kirby exploring a mysterious chain of islands full of abandoned settlements. Apparently, this is gonna be the first game in the franchise to feature a fully-3D playstyle similar to games like Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I think it looks really neat. What're your thoughts on this?

Escargoon: Hey wise guy, this is the king you're talking about! You can't insult him because he's fat! Or because he's a big ignoramous! Or because he's a tightwad- *gets smashed with Dedede's mallet*
~Here Comes the Son

Escargoon: Kitcheeennn!!!! Where's the chow, ya chowderheads?! His highness is hungry up here!
Waddle Doo: But we just served the King a 10-course meal!
Dedede: All of them appetizers was un-appetizin'! Bring me 10 different courses and make it snappy!
Waddle Doo: Right! *he and the Waddle Dees finish the 10 courses and bring the food to Dedede* Hup, two, three, four, we bring the food and he wants more! Five, six, seven, eight, the King had better watch his weight!
~Hour of the WolfWrath

ide
PostPosted: September 24th, 2021, 11:37 am 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 3
I like the look of the game and it seems very fun to play.

On the official Twitter page, they published a new artwork, and it features a new character who in the trailer is only barely seen during the monkey cutscene: it's a thing similar to a blue floating rabbit, kinda... I suspect it will be this games' equivalent of Ribbon in Kirby 64.

I've read some people saying that apparently the game won't be set on Pop Star, but I can't confirm this because I can't read Japanese.
It makes me think of Kirby 64's Shiver Star, due to the post-apocalyptic setting and human reference... I wonder if we will know something more about Adeleine's backstory or other survived humans in this game; I think they will leave it up to the player's interpretation if this planet is actually Earth, Shiver Star, or anything else, as typical of HAL when it comes to lore and references to older games.

The end of the levels seems to consist in freeing some Waddle Dees from a cage, and in the trailer it's possible to spot 2 of those cages, one of which is on the neck of that big monkey (who resembles Void Termina's "human" form gameplay wise).

Abilities seem to be a bit simpler this time around... at least, from the little information we have. I'm ok with this and honestly never liked the abilities having 4 pages of button combination to read in the pause menu and many redundant moves. I'm all for optimization and making each single ability feel more unique compared to the others; Needle already plays nothing like it did in the old games. On top of that, it seems like Kirby can't float forever in this game too, as expected.

The focus of this game seems to be Kirby alone lost in this unknown and unfamiliar "alien" world, so it's unlikely to see many of the classic characters to come back, but maybe the end game content will surprise us, who knows.

The levels' structure seems to be similar to the one of Mario 3D World, fixed camera and linear level design; regardless it feels so immersive because like in Kirby 64, this game's backgrounds and environments are beautiful and very detailed, but they are still backgrounds it seems, you can't explore the world freely like in an actual open world/sandbox game (at least, this is what it seems to me from the trailer).

I noticed how the Kirby logo got slightly redesigned for the first time since Right Back At Ya. I'm happy of that and honestly I never liked the previous logo... this one is more minimalistic and polished, even though the main elements which made it recognizable were mostly untouched.

I wonder if Shinichi Shimomura is somehow involved in this game or what, because for some reason this game gives me a strong Dark Matter Trilogy vibe, even though it's a completely different thing.

There's a scene where the trailer shows a "wide Gordo", instead of being spherical it's a cylinder with rounded caps at the sides... that was weird to look at.

Aaannd... I don't know, there's a lot to say about the game, even little details such as how some shops in the supermarket are closed during the initial cutscene, yet open with some weird drawings of Kirby with a big X on his face during gameplay... it makes me think that in the game there's someone who hates Kirby for some reason, so he's not completely alone after all.

EDIT: There is a part of the trailer where a group of 3 chicks and they don't seem to be enemies... is it possible that they have brought back the side missions of Kirby's Dream Land 3 where you had to help some NPCs in each level?

ide
PostPosted: September 24th, 2021, 1:01 pm 
Star General A_mystery
Star General

Location: It's crazy that I'm using this like an "About Me" section, right? Anyways, I lost interest in Kirby.
I’m ticked off because I tried to post a thread about this game yesterday but KRR wouldn’t let me for whatever reason lol

Anyways, four notes.
-Over 20 years after Kirby 64 and over 10 years after one of the many scrapped versions of Kirby GCN/Wii, this is Kirby’s first 3D Platformer. In terms of main series, anyway.
-New Kirby logo after 19 years. It looks rather generic, though. Not that I liked the 2002 logo… I just miss the first logo haha
-Yes, this was the game that got leaked before the direct debuted proper. (That, and Bayonetta 3.)
-This is most likely the Kirby project that HAL announced in 2019.

As for my thoughts… it looks fine. I’m just relieved they’re finally doing something new. People have been wanting Kirby to have a 3D Platformer for years at this point so it’s kind of weird to think it’s a reality now.

But will I buy it… If I like what I see and it pulls off new concepts successfully, I’ll buy it. If it ends up being another nostalgia pandering game with a forced gimmick, I’ll pass. I don’t know. I’m not really into Kirby like I used to be so it’s not something that I’m constantly thinking about.

If you’re ever feeling lonely, watch this video:
https://youtu.be/mie-3U3H3iY

ide
PostPosted: September 24th, 2021, 1:40 pm 
Riding along in my motorbike... Female
Riding along in my motorbike...

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Epic Yarn
It seems interesting, but being utterly resistant to any and all change whatsoever to a disappointingly petty level, I'm skeptical. As it is, it took me 3 years to finally warm up to Star Allies, and that was still a "traditional" Kirby game. I'll mostly just stay on the sidelines until I learn more about this, I suppose. I can definitely see what Blowout Blast was a warm-up for, however.

I'm not fond of the new logo myself, however. Even Kirby is getting an oversimplified logo these days? I much prefer the previous one by a long shot.
Okay, maybe oversimplified isn't the right word. But it's definitely lost its charm in my opinion.

ide
PostPosted: September 24th, 2021, 2:09 pm 
Star General A_mystery
Star General

Location: It's crazy that I'm using this like an "About Me" section, right? Anyways, I lost interest in Kirby.
Quote:
It seems interesting, but being utterly resistant to any and all change whatsoever to a disappointingly petty level, I'm skeptical. As it is, it took me 3 years to finally warm up to Star Allies, and that was still a "traditional" Kirby game. I'll mostly just stay on the sidelines until I learn more about this, I suppose. I can definitely see what Blowout Blast was a warm-up for, however.

I'm not fond of the new logo myself, however. Even Kirby is getting an oversimplified logo these days? I much prefer the previous one by a long shot.
Okay, maybe oversimplified isn't the right word. But it's definitely lost its charm in my opinion.
The correct term is minimalistic logo, thank you very much. But yeah, logos are just so uninspired and all feel the same these days. Which goes against the point of a logo, to have a unique and instantly recognizable identity.

As for change, I mostly react negatively to unnecessary change. (That includes boring new logos.) I think Kirby going 3D is cool! It’s welcome! It’s intriguing! It’s not the RtDL engine!

And the whole ‘abandoned civilization’ story… I never did like Kirby having all these stories trying to be ‘deep’ and ‘NoT yOuR tYpIcAl KiDs PlAtFoRmEr LiKe MaRiO’. I think it’s obnoxious and stupid, and sometimes I feel like the developers prioritize it over actually having good gameplay. I liked when the darkness was subtle in the older games, something you had to analyze to get an idea of things. Nowadays, it’s all these ‘SuRpRiSe ThE vIlLaIn HaS a BaCkStOrY’ situations, and it’s not fun to experience.

But enough about my rant about modern Kirby. Whatever ends up happening, ‘Forgotten Land’ is clearly the start of a fourth Kirby era. (Following the classic era, anime era, and RtDL era.)

ide
PostPosted: September 24th, 2021, 2:37 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

It seems like I'm the only one who's optimistic about this game, which is funny because I was against the idea of a 3D Kirby game before this announcement.

Wathever, I've seen a lot of effort, way more effort than I expected, put into this game, so I think it's going to be good. The gameplay seems super smooth, the environments are varied and detailed, there are a lot of interactive elements and many cinematic moments, and every place looks different than others, no tilesets or spam of standard assets; coming from Star Allies that was likely done in a Mario Maker-like editor, this is an impressive jump in quality IMO.

Graphics are (from a technical point of view) a bit weak, there are visible polygons and low res textures and all, but artistically it's still the best thing we have seen since Kirby 64, at least IMO (even though I loved some environments of Triple Deluxe). Metroid Dread also seems to have this issue sometimes, maybe it's just the Switch that's not powerful enough to handle good graphics, which is OK as long as the art style is good.

Regarding the logo, I prefer the older one too (I mean the one from GB to N64), though I like the new one more than the 2000s one, really every new Kirby game I wished they would change the series' logo because I didn't like it at all and it didn't represent the style of the series anymore since after Squeak Squad/Mass Attack. I think you all just need to get used to it, but that's just me.

The logo is no way oversimplified, it's just simpler and more schematic but it still has many details compared to overly minimalistic stuff such as, even the Switch's logo. The part that I don't like of the logo and that I think is outright bad (but I don't care much really) is the subtitle part, which has nothing to do with the series' logo and it's just in this specific game. The font, the colors (plain white with a semitransparent and sharp shadow drop effect) and the decoration chosen for the text "and the forgotten land" just feels like some student doing a 5 min. experiment in adobe illustrator with a free font found online (maybe it's not final and will change?).

ide
PostPosted: September 24th, 2021, 3:03 pm 
Star General A_mystery
Star General

Quote:
It seems like I'm the only one who's optimistic about this game, which is funny because I was against the idea of a 3D Kirby game before this announcement.
Sorry about that. Optimism is not my strong suit, especially after being optimistic for Star Allies and I ended up hating it. I didn’t like Planet Robobot either. I do wholeheartedly agree Forgotten Land looks like it had WAY more effort put into it than Star Allies.

It’s not like I hate this game or anything from the get go. I’m quite happy Kirby is getting a 3D Platformer (and that Needle is returning). It’s just that the series has been so stagnant and gimmicky for so long that I’m scared Forgotten Land will be stagnant and gimmicky too. When Star Allies was first revealed we didn’t know that the helpers would be a gimmick forced on us like hypernova and robobot armor. It hurt the game significantly. Not to mention the unfinished state of the game at launch, the puzzles hardly even being puzzles(they outright told you how to get the collectibles as if the game wasn’t easy enough lol), and numerous other problems. I COULD go on about why Star Allies didn’t work as a game but I think that would be better suited for a different thread.

Simply put, I don’t like being optimistic because it ends up making me even more upset and angry when things turn out bad. I voiced my feelings about Kirby poorly in 2016, making it seem like I hated the newest Kirby games (and the series as a whole, which isn’t true) for no reason. So here’s my reasoning to not be ‘optimistic’ now. It’s fine that you are optimistic, everyone views things differently. I just don’t want to be forced to be optimistic myself.

Back on topic. (Did I go off-topic? That’s debatable.) I’ll have to go watch the trailer again to get a feel for what exactly the game is going for. I look forward to when we get more info on the game. (Probably early 2022.)

ide
PostPosted: September 24th, 2021, 3:46 pm 
Riding along in my motorbike... Female
Riding along in my motorbike...

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Epic Yarn
I'm definitely going to look back into the trailer myself when I get a moment later today. I most definitely am not saying or trying to imply that this new game is bad in any way - it's just different from what I'm used to, seeing as I grew up with Kirby in the RtDL era and so that's what I've grown attached to. Though I love RtDL by itself as a game, I agree that it gets kind of repetitive and mundane when every single game following is basically just a tweaked re-release of RtDL in some way, so something different could actually be a nice change. (In a way, I have no reason to personally resent a new playstyle anyhow - many of the spinoffs and side-games have a very different playstyle than the mainline ones, and yet I love many of them dearly.)

I feel it's definitely too early to hold any indepth opinion on it whatsoever, so I'm definitely going to be watching for any new tidbits on the game's development in the next several months before I make a full judgement on it. I do hope that we see more familiar iconic characters than just Kirby, however, so that it still at least feels like a Kirby game - even just an appearance from King Dedede would do well in my opinion, especially given his perfect attendance in the series since its beginning. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what the coming months bring.

My opinion on the logo, of course, still stands, but that's just a small matter of personal preference and definitely not enough grounds on which to make a judgement about the game itself.

(Also, thank you for the correction, Keeby - I wasn't quite sure of the correct word to use.)

ide
PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 7:10 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

While the trailer of this game surpassed 1 million of views, became trending and the most watched individual trailer of the Direct, I'm still watching it over and over and can't have enough of it.

Some other details that I have noticed

the blue birds in the supermarket remind me of the Twitter logo, are them an intentional reference or just a coincidence?

Also, still in the supermarket, when Kirby runs, he kicks a piece of concrete away and it bounces with kinda-realistic physics before it disappears in a cartoony cloud. I wonder if realistic physics will be in other parts of the game too or just there.

Defeated enemies finally reward you with stars, which are more similar to star coins in this game, wathever. I don't know if lives will be in this game since many other franchises started removing the lives system completely, but anyway, I hope they don't just give you a life each time you collect a given amount... I hope they are more involved in the game. The funny thing is that years ago I made a fan-concept of a Kirby game and I thought of doing the same thing, but in my idea, the stars were used to level up the current ability (it was a simple level up system that depending on the ability would give you a small boost in defense or some other properties, but it had only 3 levels and they were tied to the specific ability star, so by losing a level 3 Sword and inhaling another sword enemy, you would be back to level 1 Sword; so basically the stars were a sort of temporary exp system). I doubt this game will do something like this by the way, it's probably just for lives or at best there is a shop where you can spend them for stuff.

At some point, Kirby uses the Cutter ability to collect a green something. I think it's a piece of a star, splitted in 5 parts. I don't know if they are the new crystal shards-like collectables or just a puzzle element like a warp star that appears only when you collect all the pieces. Looking at the shape of this piece, it reminds me of the 3D stars of Triple Deluxe (a full star surrounded by a detached empty star border), but would those stars make sense in a game that's already 3D? Maybe they're like normal warp stars but for short travels? (like transparent pipes vs actual pipes in Mario 3D World).

Some different environments shown in the trailer are probably part of a same level and connected through in-game transitions. The supermarket level probably ends with the gorilla boss (but I doubt he's the actual area boss, he probably a miniboss or something, since he holds a normal Waddle Dee cage, while usually bosses hold special story items that you usually don't find in normal levels); the theme park level seems to feature a circus in the background, and that indoor level with purple-ish environment and that fake monsters trap is probably part of the same level (also a reference to Triple Deluxe's circus probably). The first Waddle Dee cage is probably at the other end of the tunnel, and the dark area where Kirby uses Fire to light up a lamp is likely inside the tunnel. Aside of the desert, sea and snow areas, the majority of the trailer is probably built around just 3 levels or so and they seem to be from the first city area, likely the beginning of the game.

Some speculation about the story: I doubt the beasts gang will be the real villain of this game. They likely are angry with Kirby for the wrong reason and by the end of the game they will join Kirby and help him against the real evil force. I can't see a Kirby game teaching kids that animals are evil and it's correct to beat up them. Plot twists in Kirby are to be expected, so.

I find it funny that the first thing they have shown is the supermarket with escalators when the level of Shiver Star that features a similar environment as this game is set in a supermarket with escalators... I think it's intentional and they know what they are doing here. Though, as I said before, it's unlikely that they will mention Shiver Star directly... for example, even Star Dream is not called Nova despite being the same thing. Either this place will remain unnamed, or it will be named but just the land, not the whole planet (such as Dream Land without mentioning Pop Star).

Is there a chance that the Waddle Dees will repair the buildings and populate the city once you save them all? It would be interesting...

OK, I need to play the game now before my brain explodes.

ide
PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 9:45 pm 
Super Star Male
Super Star

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Speaking of that unnamed gorilla boss, I believe that thing reminds me a lot like Donkey Kong, only black, throwing rocks, and sporting a Mohawk. If he ends up being the first boss in this one, then this'll be yet another main game in the franchise where Whispy Woods isn't the first boss (similarly to Amazing Mirror, Squeak Squad, Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot, three of which have variants of him instead and one of which has Dedede going first instead).

Escargoon: Hey wise guy, this is the king you're talking about! You can't insult him because he's fat! Or because he's a big ignoramous! Or because he's a tightwad- *gets smashed with Dedede's mallet*
~Here Comes the Son

Escargoon: Kitcheeennn!!!! Where's the chow, ya chowderheads?! His highness is hungry up here!
Waddle Doo: But we just served the King a 10-course meal!
Dedede: All of them appetizers was un-appetizin'! Bring me 10 different courses and make it snappy!
Waddle Doo: Right! *he and the Waddle Dees finish the 10 courses and bring the food to Dedede* Hup, two, three, four, we bring the food and he wants more! Five, six, seven, eight, the King had better watch his weight!
~Hour of the WolfWrath

ide
PostPosted: September 27th, 2021, 1:24 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

Quote:
Speaking of that unnamed gorilla boss, I believe that thing reminds me a lot like Donkey Kong, only black, throwing rocks, and sporting a Mohawk. If he ends up being the first boss in this one, then this'll be yet another main game in the franchise where Whispy Woods isn't the first boss (similarly to Amazing Mirror, Squeak Squad, Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot, three of which have variants of him instead and one of which has Dedede going first instead).
That gorilla might be a reference to Donkey Kong actually... the city seems to be slightly inspired by New Donk City from Mario Odyssey, and that's the city where the first Donkey Kong game happens (the arcade one), this seems to be an homage to that.
In the shopping mall you can see that on the right side of the escalators (upper floor), there is a closed corridor full of bananas, and if you look closely you can see the gorilla running on the top of the ceiling at the beginning of the gameplay part. I'm not sure if that's meant to be the first boss or just the boss of that level (like the pop-star levels in Kirby 64 all ended with a minor bossfight).

Though if Whispy is in this game, I want to see Kaiju Whispy in the middle of the city fought on a flying vehichle similar to the thing that you use during the Void Termina bossfight (I actually said this a few years ago too when I said that I wished the next Kirby game was themed after movie tropes and have cutscenes featuring the Channel PPP reporters recording Kirby's actions from the sidelines in order to mount them as an actual movie at the end of the game - ending in troubles each time in the process).

By the way, the gorilla also looks like a Return to Dream Land boss, but it's not really the same.

ide
PostPosted: October 11th, 2021, 3:46 pm 
Puff in Training Male
Puff in Training

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Say, is there confirmation that we have multiple moves other than basic B moves? Didn't seem like it.

ide
PostPosted: November 25th, 2021, 3:17 pm 
Star General A_mystery
Star General

Quote:
Say, is there confirmation that we have multiple moves other than basic B moves? Didn't seem like it.
Late reply, but sword is shown with multiple moves in the trailer so, sort of confirmed I think. Battle Royale had multiple move abilities so I don’t think they’d go backwards with a main series game.

(Then again, I prefer one move abilities over the flashy, over-the-top Super Star style abilities we get these days.)

ide
PostPosted: November 28th, 2021, 7:45 am 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

I don't care at all of the hack'n'slash movesets inspired by Kirby Superstar, I never liked them to be honest. I know that games like Dream Land 3 and 64 could have been more fun if the abilities had a few more moves for variety, but I don't like when moves are added for the sake of it and make all the abilities samey.

If Cutter has a dash attack, other abilities such as Parasol and Sword don't need to have the same dash attack just with a different sprite: if I want a dash attack I stick to Cutter; Parasol and Sword can get different unique moves with the same input instead, or nothing really, dash attack has always been a bad type of input because it can be activated unintentionally causing unwanted results.

Something like Amazing Mirror was fine, many abilities had multiple moves but they were still simple enough that you could learn how to play with them intuitively without having to read the pause screen, and they were more unique to each other.

The way I prefer is when the moveset are optimized and simple, but still deep. Think about Sonic in Sonic 1: he can just jump and roll, but those two moves can interact in different ways with the environment, depending on the angle of the terrain, so despite Sonic's moveset being very simple, it's still deep enough that fans still love it today. Also I wish Kirby's base moveset was expanded a bit: in Amazing Mirror Kirby could roll by performing a slide on a slope, and some abilities would enhance those basic moves, such as sliding while having the Sword ability would let you slide with the sword forward and perform an attack. This is definitely a better approach at multiple moves than complex button combinations IMO.

To change topic a bit, I wish Forgotten Land has Wheel and we get a racing minigame in it.
Also, thinking about the potential lore connections, I wonder if the Squeak Squad are somehow connected with the Beast Corps, and if those animals stuck in capsules in the depths of the factory on Shiver Star might be related to them too.

ide
PostPosted: November 28th, 2021, 3:56 pm 
Star General A_mystery
Star General

Yeah. Most copy abilities feel pretty pointless these days. It was more fun when having an extra move or two (like with hammer/sword’s air attack or throw’s multiple directions) was a bonus and the main focus was ability properties and elements, not a bunch of techniques straight out of a fighting game.

Also, I know I’m complaining a lot, but I’m scared Forgotten Land is just going to be ‘RtDL BUT 3D’. It just gives me that vibe, you know? Feels like a lot of the same plot beats/art style/gameplay we’ve seen over the past decade.