[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Game Page - Kirby's Rainbow Resort

Kirby's Rainbow Resort

Welcome back, Kirby fans. We missed us.
It is currently September 25th, 2020, 11:40 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ide
PostPosted: May 27th, 2016, 8:09 pm 
Puff in Training Male
Puff in Training

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Air Ride
Hello, camera five. So, one of the things people often point out about KRR is that the game pages haven't really been properly updated for what is now nearing a decade. It kind of slipped my mind that Super Star Ultra only has information from the original, so new information has no pages, and then there's Epic Yarn, but forget that for now.

I have replayed through the majority of KRTDL, documenting information on enemies and bosses and abilities and energy sphere locations. Nearly all of this information I obtained myself, so it's grade A (or at least B) originally documented. That probably matters?? So now I have this ridiculous text document with a lot of words. 's a link on Google Drive, since there does not appear to be a way to upload documents directly on this forum?

You might be thinking this should be sent to someone who can do something with it, but maybe you're also thinking that some review could be in order to see if more sprucing up can be done, and I'm thinking the same thing. That's why I'm putting it up here, I figure it's the easiest place to get feedback and discuss how to improve it. Let's make it a community effort. Let's add a table of contents so you know what to expect from this document.

-At the top is a list of things missing still. I'll also put this list at the end of this post. If there's anything else you see missing, point it out. If there's anything you know or want to check, go ahead. If you think I'm crazy for not just looking some of this stuff up on Youtube videos, you're probably right.
-Ship pieces: Aside from a list of the five pieces held by bosses, I've included details on how to obtained every single energy sphere, just like the KDL3 page's Heart Star Guide and the incredibly incomplete K64 shard guide and, wow, Squeak Squad just straight-up doesn't have anything on the chests. Note that I've never written a FAQ or walkthrough before, so I'm just doin' my best here.
-Characters: Brief rundown on the characters, including flavor text for the playable ones and differences between Kirby.
-Challenges: Information on the seven challenges the game features
-Sub-Games: Information on Ninja Dojo, Scope Shot, The Arena, and The True Arena (this last one being incomplete)
-Enemies: Information on every enemy, as mentioned those with names in parenthesis are taken from Wikirby, which if I recall is the only information I didn't take while playing the game.
-Minibosses: Information on each miniboss, although it's missing information from Extra/True Arena
-Bosses: Information on each boss including EX versions, plus pause flavor text for the ones that have it
-Abilities: Yes, I seriously grabbed each ability as it appeared and tested out each move as thoroughly as I thought was decent.
-That accounts for everything listed in the RTDL page's sidebar aside from Instruction Booklet (which I believe has been courteously scanned by a fellow member) and How To Play (which could either be written or probably falls under Instruction Booklet).
-There are a few extra sections at the bottom not listed on the page's sidebar, including items (such as the key or spike-soled shoe), the Interdimensional Challenges (a name which I will admit I think I took from a what is apparently the title of the music for them?), a couple small extra things that may not really fit anywhere, and Secrets.

It's a long read, so if anyone feels up to taking some time to look through some if it to critique, suggest, and whatever, go ahead! Here's the stuff that I don't have and, in some cases, could easily find out, but after documenting all that I'm kind of burned out, so it may be a while before I would:

-Images! Enemies, bosses, minibosses, characters, what have you. I have a capture device able to take screenshots of the game, but it's kind of old and a slight hassle and don't know how good it would look. If anyone has better ideas or newer devices for the taking of screenshots, appreciation will be in order.
-Stage 2 of Dangerous Dinner: What the precise way is you have to use Grand Hammer to open the portal to the interdimensional challenge
-Order of fights in The True Arena past round 10
-If Lor Starcutter boss has flavor text when pressing pause
-Flavor text for True Arena bosses (Lor Starcutter? HR-D3? Galacta Knight? Magolor fights with different text in True Arena as opposed to just Extra Mode?)
-Enemies with parintheses around the name was totally stolen from Wikirby. I personally cannot confirm the names.
-Can Barracu bite and hold Kirby in place when out of water? (There is like ONE PLACE in the ENTIRE GAME this could be tested, and noooo I don't remember where that is)
-Stealth Water Gun for Ninja
-there's probably other Extra Mode Stone statues I don't have listed.
-Most differences in Extra Mode, a few are noted but I did not document anything in detail so the only changes noted are most boss differences, the holes in stars, and random enemy resizes
-How many shots the cannon item will fire before it dies

“ ‘So how are you doing?’ ‘Fine, good, fine, just wallowing around in self-pity. Wait, I mean self-actualization. I am so actual right now.’ ”

Last edited by Duth Olec on May 29th, 2016, 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ide
PostPosted: May 27th, 2016, 9:13 pm 
Waddle Doo Male
Waddle Doo

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 3
I'm cool with community effort.

Actually, one of the things that a The Games page would need is pictures of the enemies, which has become increasingly harder to come by what with things not being sprites now. At least, it was much harder to prove that one just blatantly stole sprites since they always looks the same, but 3D graphics? Tough stuff.

ide
PostPosted: May 27th, 2016, 9:26 pm 
Puff in Training Male
Puff in Training

Oh yeah, that was another thing. I'm sure some enemies have official art, but not all of them. I do also have a fairly old capture device (e.g. this thing does not have installation settings for anything past, oh, it was either XP or Vista), but I could take at least... passable screenshots of the enemies? I don't know if we want to go that route since it could look kind of ugly just having a small cropped image of the game, although to be fair the images would look a higher quality than the image my mind refuses to swap out for something more accurate.

Although if someone had a way to root around the game's files for renders... again, I don't know if that would work for all of them... or even any of them. I also just remembered I use my Wii U for Wii games now. While I think the capture device would work, it would be even more of a pain to use. Still! Options.

“ ‘So how are you doing?’ ‘Fine, good, fine, just wallowing around in self-pity. Wait, I mean self-actualization. I am so actual right now.’ ”

ide
PostPosted: May 27th, 2016, 10:03 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star Ultra
A community effort, you say? Count me in! I'll do whatever I can to help out since the outdated Games pages are bugging me, too. Plus it gives me the perfect excuse to replay these wonderful games! I was actually in the middle of going through Return to Dream Land's Extra mode recently, but I took a break and kinda never got around to finishing it. I don't expect I'll do anything big right this minute, but I'll start with a few small things.

The Models Resource has a collection of models from many games, including Return to Dream Land. It could be of some use, or (this may be a long shot but) maybe they could help us out with making a collection of the game's models? I don't have the means to rip the models myself, but I believe I'll be able to make renders for them. I could even pose them if they're rigged! Here's a link to the page:

The yellow pole thing is called a Bokken, by the way. It's something that's used for training swordsmen in Japan.

ide
PostPosted: May 28th, 2016, 2:04 pm 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Return to Dream Land
We could always raid GameFAQs (but credit the authors there).

ide
PostPosted: May 28th, 2016, 9:50 pm 
Puff in Training Male
Puff in Training

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Well, I've already told you in private but might as well cast this out in the open-

I'll be willing to do True Arena when I have the free time, as well as potential capture game screens/footage as I have an HDMI capture device. Of course if anyone else is capable they should feel free to jump on this as well.

ide
PostPosted: May 28th, 2016, 10:08 pm 
Puff in Training Male
Puff in Training

You know, some of the description for the energy spheres could be cut down if screenshots were added like on the KDL3 page. Just a screenshot showing the energy sphere or the area, I don't think an entire picture-based walkthrough is needed. Of course, I don't want to make you play through the whole game again like I just did, Veech.

I didn't even consider the application of screenshots for various things, though, such as the challenges--adding pictures of where the hidden doors are, for example. Scope Shot, too; just a single image that shows the three robots at the start of the round, which might work better in those cases than models. On the topic of models, I looked at the FAQ for VG Resource, and it should be okay to use what they have. It might be a good idea to be consistent and not use a mix of screenshots and models though--all or nothing, I'm thinking?

ide
PostPosted: May 29th, 2016, 4:42 am 
Watch out, I bite! Male
Watch out, I bite!

I made a damage guide for copy abilities back when the game came out, it gives the damage values for every attack for every ability. Apparently people forgot it exists, but it should be on the forums here, if it didn't get toasted, and on the gamefaqs forums, several people helped me verify my test results so they're accurate. The data can also be found on speeddemos archive.

Also, Bomb is unable to destroy ice blocks and light fuses, it's non elemental. Stone's volcano form is Mt. Fuji, the building is Hal Labs.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=241379 My grammar is really rather crappy, but the data is accurate.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/935607-k ... d/62398037

Use the data if you'd like, but please credit me. I put several weeks into all the testing, even lost sleep.

ide
PostPosted: May 29th, 2016, 11:30 am 
Swift Hunter Male
Swift Hunter

I'm pretty sure the Kirby Wikia has a lot of images and artwork for every enemy in the game.
Theese may be helpful.
I always wanted to see the main site "completed".

Kirby fans are still alive and aware, but the community can't die.
Let's make this place the #1 Kirby site on the internet again!
Let's revive KRR and all of it's features.
The fans want it, the users want it, and even the OPHnK subbing team is back.
Let's make Rainbow Resort great again, as it was in the early and mid 2000's.
TOGETHER, WE CAN DO IT!!!

ide
PostPosted: May 29th, 2016, 3:05 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

ide
PostPosted: May 29th, 2016, 6:56 pm 
Waddle Doo Male
Waddle Doo

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 3
Yeah, raiding resources from other sites is definitely not something we should do, unless the creator him- and/or herself is offering it up.

ide
PostPosted: May 29th, 2016, 11:56 pm 
Puff in Training Male
Puff in Training

Especially not Wikia. I, um, have a thing against Wikia. If we use things from The Model Resource, we might at least ask. (I would nominate not-me for ambassador.) If we happened to have someone who could rip the models around here then they could even contribute to TMR and it's suddenly less raidy/moochy and more of a mutual whatever thingy.

Otherwise, screenshots for enemy pictures would probably be a decent backup measure. There could be a poll for trying to use models or just going for screenshots, but to be fair it's probably up to who can actually get the information and images on the game pages. Maybe there should be a poll for if there should be a poll! That makes sense, right??

Actually by the same token there's all those enemy names that I straight-up admitted that I took from Wikirby. Otherwise, the text is at least sound. That just leaves the stuff people actually care about.

ide
PostPosted: May 30th, 2016, 4:25 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

A mutual relationship with the Models Resource is what I'm suggesting, not an all-out raid. Even though their "About" page states their models are free for unofficial use, the best approach, I feel, would be to find a way to rip models ourselves and also submit them to the Models Resource to help flesh out their collection of 3D models, which would be beneficial for their bottom line. More people would have access to the Kirby series' models, and it could even help to bring some attention back to this website since a good number of people use the VG Resource family of websites. Heck, I've used the Models Resource to study professional 3D models so I could improve my own work! The problem would be finding the means to rip the models in the first place since I have no idea how it's done, so screenshots could be a substitute for mugshot renders in the meantime. Besides that, their collection of models for the Kirby series is incomplete anyway, so our pages would only have access to so many renders before the supply runs dry; Kirby himself doesn't even have a model on the Return to Dreamland page, as of the time of posting.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable