Kirby's Rainbow Resort

Welcome back, Kirby fans. We missed us.
It is currently November 18th, 2019, 9:26 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
ide
PostPosted: July 4th, 2010, 6:02 pm 
ό ωό A_mystery
ό ωό

Due to the Bidoof event (among others), we have a lot more colored usernames now. I'd just like to remind everyone that colored names don't simply relate to staff anymore (although Staff members will usually have a color of their own) and, like Diskmaster said, the only real way to tell who mods/admins are is the "The Team" area of the forums. just clarifying ok continue to enjoy your video games.

ide
PostPosted: July 4th, 2010, 6:55 pm 
Dark King Male
Dark King

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star Ultra
MAN THIS IS CONFUSING

ide
PostPosted: July 4th, 2010, 6:57 pm 
ό ωό A_mystery
ό ωό

LOTS OF THINGS ARE CONFUSING TO PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN WHALES OK

ide
PostPosted: July 4th, 2010, 8:07 pm 
Industrial strength Male
Industrial strength

The colors, Duke, the colors!

September 17, 2007. Support our troops !!!!4 YEARS!!!!

ide
PostPosted: July 18th, 2010, 12:41 am 
The most effectual Male
The most effectual

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
I'll be glad when this is over.

It's bad enough that I still have my colored name.

ide
PostPosted: July 18th, 2010, 1:57 pm 
a friendly ghost A_mystery
a friendly ghost

I don't really think it's going anywhere, though. I mean, so far as I know, there was never a specific time set for when the colored names would expire.

ide
PostPosted: July 18th, 2010, 3:49 pm 
THE PINK KIRBY Female
THE PINK KIRBY

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 2
Why would they go anywhere?

ide
PostPosted: July 18th, 2010, 4:30 pm 
The most effectual Male
The most effectual

Sorry, I kind of immediately assumed that this would be a temporary thing considering how confusing it is. I suppose it's just naivety on my part.

I've already expressed my views on regular members having colored usernames. I'm not really in the mood to explain myself again. I appear to be alone in my thinking anyway, so it doesn't matter.

ide
PostPosted: July 18th, 2010, 5:07 pm 
THE PINK KIRBY Female
THE PINK KIRBY

I don't understand how it's confusing, honestly :[

ide
PostPosted: July 18th, 2010, 6:14 pm 
The most effectual Male
The most effectual

It's vaguely confusing because for the past three or so years I've been either lurking or posting on this forum colored usernames meant some sort of site/forum staff? Goodness.

I really did not think it was that hard to comprehend why I thought it was confusing and/or completely unnecessary in general, but I digress. Say no more of it.

ide
PostPosted: July 19th, 2010, 6:01 am 
ό ωό A_mystery
ό ωό

that's why this thread exists tho

ide
PostPosted: July 21st, 2010, 12:58 pm 
Shooting Star Male
Shooting Star

...I think I'm mostly right when I say most staff have a special colored user name, and a custom title.

ide
PostPosted: July 21st, 2010, 1:56 pm 
The most effectual Male
The most effectual

They do. Thing is, have both and I'm not staff, Carvanha. It's part of the point I was trying to make.

And I understand your reasoning for making this announcement, NK. In fact, I commend you for it. Regardless, I still have my reasons why I don't think this is a good idea. Not trying to argue for the sake of arguing, just saying 'Hey, I'm not too sure about this.' In the end, it's you and the rest of the staff's decision. I have no say in it.

ide
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2010, 7:22 pm 
Shooting Star A_mystery
Shooting Star

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby: Triple Deluxe
I don't believe you are staff either Carvanha? And lo, there's a coloured username.

... at least, it looks like a coloured username.

ide
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2010, 10:05 pm 
THE PINK KIRBY Female
THE PINK KIRBY

Carvanha wrote:
and a custom title.

He ain't got that.

ide
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2010, 10:58 pm 
The most effectual Male
The most effectual

But that's irrelevant because custom titles aren't restricted to staff members. In fact, numerous members have them, not including myself.

Combine a custom title with a colored username and you have perfect reasoning to believe someone is staff at first glance. Case and point. One of them is site staff, the other is not.

I'm not in the mood to hear any nonsense about members looking at the moderation team page or looking at this announcement thread either, because we all know the average person has never read either one, let alone read the damn forum rules.

I know I seem like I'm whining for no real reason, I just don't feel like dropping this before people understand my point.

ide
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2010, 11:53 pm 
THE PINK KIRBY Female
THE PINK KIRBY

Chooch wrote:
I'm not in the mood to hear any nonsense about members looking at the moderation team page or looking at this announcement thread either, because we all know the average person has never read either one, let alone read the damn forum rules.

While this is a fine point, I'll also point out that, even when only staff had these things (and, even, when the rank image specifically says "Site Staff") many people didn't really take note of these things and who is and isn't staff STILL needed to be pointed out to them. So not losing a huge amount there, really?

Quote:
I know I seem like I'm whining for no real reason, I just don't feel like dropping this before people understand my point.

No, you're definitely not doing this for no reason! Sometimes a bad idea can seem REALLY GOOD to a lot of people even if the reason why it's bad is bleeding obvious. Better to argue about potentially nothing than let it go unsaid and have us make a stupid mistake.

ide
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 12:36 am 
The most effectual Male
The most effectual

I really can't think of a single example off the top of my head where someone didn't know who was site staff and who wasn't when presented with a blatantly obvious username color, so I really don't know what you're getting at there. You'd think your typical member with even the slightest bit of common sense knows those particular people's usernames are emphasized for a reason.

Funny thing about 'reason.' It's part of why I've been finding an issue with all this. What is the real reason why a bunch of members who aren't staff suddenly have colored usernames? A specific game? Well, not getting a colored username didn't stop people from playing games before. The entire thing just seems unnecessary. Handing out little rewards for doing whatever arbitrary action is fine and dandy, but I don't think something that could easily confuse people (whether a small or big amount) is really the way to go with it.

Since I first started going to message boards I've immediately associated colored usernames with forum or site staff. Why? Well because that was always the case. It's the standard way to make staff easily identifiable on every message board around these days. Making staff easily identifiable. That's what username colors are usually for. Sure, you can make the point that staff is still easily identifiable if you simply go to the forum staff list, but before all these colored names cropped up everywhere you didn't even have to do that at all. Now for my more personal feelings on the matter.

I've always looked at being forum staff (and subsequently getting a username color) as sort of a privilege. You know, a sign that you actually contributed something of worth and are recognized as someone who is both knowledgeable and helpful to new members. Now I know a perfectly normal member can be both of these things too, but not every normal member needs to be staff, right? I think that's at least one thing everyone can agree with me about.

Custom ranks and titles? Stuff like that is completely alright with me for an ordinary member to have. Colored usernames? That just seems to be a bit too much. I'll make the point again that realistically speaking, most kids who join the forum aren't going to look at the rules, the announcements, or the team listing. If they're actually arsed to use the Personal Message feature to ask for help from someone who they think they could get assistance from, who do you think they might go to? If they've been on a message board before, they'll likely assume someone with a colored username would be the best choice. I know I would.

ide
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 12:46 am 
THE PINK KIRBY Female
THE PINK KIRBY

I've had it happen to me a few times, having to tell someone, yeah, I'm staff.

I don't really have anything to say about the rest, but that's not a bad thing! I mean you're making good points and I can totally see where you're coming from. I think you're making sense here, I just disagree, I guess?

I'm not really sure how to say that without sounding jerkishly dismissive which is totally not my intention :(

ide
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 12:51 am 
The most effectual Male
The most effectual

You sure that didn't before you got your username color, Joshi? If I remember correctly you were promoted and didn't have one for a very long time afterward. In fact, I remember bringing that up.

Last edited by Chooch on July 23rd, 2010, 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next