Welcome back, Kirby fans. We missed us.
It is currently December 7th, 2019, 2:13 am

All times are UTC-04:00

ide
PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 2:58 am 
Waddle Doo Male
Waddle Doo

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 3

Well, at least pcfan likes it. Or would, if he were even still around.

So yeah, the interactive portions of KRR have been rescued from their "static archives", which -- in case you missed it -- were just white pages preventing any sort of access to the content at all. But they were static, ya gotta give them that.

The Gallery and Forums have both been upgraded to their latest versions. The Forums had a harder go of it. I have only migrated two of the themes, and plan on at least migrating the Dark theme, too. There seem to be various brokenings on the administrative side, so please kindly let me know if things explorb for you, too.

The 'Kaki is still down. I could bring it back, but I wonder how much of a purpose such a feature even serves nowadays. I suppose the same could be said for most of this site.

So it's Ometon to the fix-everything once again, it seems. I suppose a short history is in order.

Late last year, I was checking out KRR's former friend The Kirby Club. Now, I had been aware of that joint for years, back when it was nothing more than a shameless copy of KRR. Lately, it had transformed into little more than a forum, but quite frankly, that is really all it needed to be. After all, KRR had disabled its registration years ago, so it had no chance of new blood rejuvenating it.
Club had turned into the de facto Kirby forum online, and deservedly so, too.

So of course, Kirby Club announced it was closing its doors in December. One of the reasons cited was the cost of hosting (and granted, not the only reason). This particularly bothered me since KRR has been funded with a pretty sweet hosting plan for years with no sign of slowing down, despite its disuse, and here the Kirby Community was going to be left without a forum for want of hosting.

Well, why not KRR? Registration was disabled due to spam sign-ups. Surely, there must be a way to stop those. I mean, my Unbot was batting one thousand against spambots, and it is beyond dirt simple!

To my surprise, Disk had already implemented an anti-spam measure. And it seemed to work, from what I could tell. I silently re-enabled registration, and I didn't see one spammy bot get through. (I also changed the anti-spam question; "What color was Kirby in the first game?" is a waaaaay too open-ended question.)

So of course, (Can that never be the prelude to bad news?) Disk decided to murder the forums. Yes, after sitting around for years doing nothing, an attempt to bring them back was the harbinger of their destruction. I don't know if it was the registration emails pinging him to remind him that they were alive or Joshi's assertion that he reminded Disk of this place's existence and that is what rained down the fire.
Either way, he killed this place rather dead.

Now, I had planned on bringing back the forums to fill the gap left by Kirby Club. With the last vestiges of the Old Guard turning in their keys (and he seems to be serious this time, too.... seriously), why not match wide-spread destruction with wide-spread resurrection?

A lot of people think I decided to leave KRR five years ago. That is patently untrue, but it is commonly believed since that is the lie they told. Close to the truth is that I was kicked out (and that is even something that they embraced in later year), although that isn't quite the whole truth, either.
In actuality, I was told that everything I did was to be deleted, and then I should do everything that they wanted instead. On this list was a number of things I had already done, including the Passport system. Some of this was just ignorance (like implementing site-wide page headers and footers), but most was flat-out incompetence and pettiness, like deleting the Passport system and replacing it with something that matched the exact same description as the Passport system. Oh, but fit more with KRR. I have no idea what that was supposed to mean, but it was the kind of verbiage the Old Guard attached to anything they disagreed with for any number of personal reasons.

Now, the Old Guard (previously the New Guard, and also the old Old Guard) had been demanding I delete things for a good long while, but since Kindar stripped them of their FTP access -- and because it was a terrible idea -- I denied the request and explained why it would be a terrible idea.

Then they got FTP access, which meant they could do anything they wanted to the site.

So, if I stayed, I could only do exactly what terrible ideas they wanted -- because anything else could be handily deleted. They wasted no time doing so, too. I guess the situation was like the head of a company being forced to step down: it was the guise of freewill, but the decision was made for me.

So I made two resolutions: first, no content would change. I don't know why the Old Guard likes deleting stuff so much (see Archives, Static), but it seemed only fit to prevent the unmitigated destruction of content. The second would be to implement their terrible ideas because they were terrible. What's fun is that they didn't even think they were terrible; the only cared that the Passport was gone when members started complaining. And when they realized how much easier the Passport made managing the site, which is what I had been telling them for over a year (but that would require reading the things I wrote instead of just making stuff up). Either way, I was thanked several times by the Old Guard for getting rid of the Passport system, which is endlessly amusing to me.

Most recently, the Old Guard's trope is "communication problems", which is a hilarious thing to blame on the downfall of KRR since former members of Always (the Old Guard's Skype group) have mentioned how they very explicitly ignored my communiques with them and would lie and claim that they never received them when confronted in a multi-user setting. (Yeah, I guess that qualifies as a type of problem...)

None of that really matters anymore, however, as the last member of the Old Guard is gone. KRR is more deflated than ever, so I can freely bring back all of those hated features that were asked to be removed all those years ago.

Does this mean that KRR is back to its glory days?... No, no it does not.

It is back, but only in the sense that I am going to be updating it more often that it has been. That is a really low bar. I am not going to sink too much time into KRR this go since I did that last time and look how it turned out.

"But Ometon," you may ask, "KRR was completely disregarded and unmaintained. Why would anyone want to stop KRR now that someone wants to keep it updated and active?"

Because it's happened before!

I want to focus on bringing back KRR as a Kirby fan site more than anything else. Right now, I think the only real Kirby fan forum is r/Kirby, which is very ADD by its very nature, in my opinion, and I don't really think Reddit is the sort of place a lot of parents would be happy with their kids visiting.

KRR is still highly regarded enough by Google to be a premier Kirby site. Hopefully, a returning registration can get this place not back to its prime, but at least back to not-a-corpse level of activity.

ide
PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 5:34 pm 
Shooting Star A_mystery
Shooting Star

Location: It's crazy that I'm using this like an "About Me" section, right? Anyways, I lost interest in Kirby.
I came here because someone on Meta Naito said it's back.

Hi.

ide
PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 6:04 pm 
Li'l Traveler Male
Li'l Traveler

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby: Planet Robobot
That made my day. The story has a good ending now.

We never shed light on what happened to who had defended The Kirby Club, and Kirby's Rainbow Resort. We are glad to finally disclose what has happened. We are glad to announce that "the few" have succeeded their mission. Quadriby's forces faced total annihilation. They had never gotten the honor they deserve for their strength, heroism, and gallantry because of the mission's details' secrecy after Febuary 12, and they had been reported as MIA. We are glad to disclose all information after communications have been regained with them. They had reported that the last evacuation units to Meta Naito and /r/Kirby left them, and they were forced to fight without reinforcements for 1 month. What an achievement! We will give them the highest honors that we can possibly give (for a Kirby fan). This is not to say that Kirby's Rainbow Resort is back to its glory days. We wish luck in their future endeavors.

ide
PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 1:30 pm 
Puff in Training Female
Puff in Training

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star Ultra
I hope this isn't an elaborate April Fool's or a short-lived revival. There aren't many places left to get in touch with the Kirby fandom, and it's good to see a part of it still functional.

ide
 Post subject: Probably?
PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 9:03 pm 
Uncle Gobbo Male
Uncle Gobbo

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 2
Huh? Yeah, I guess it isn't a joke. It probably won't be the fast-paced, thunder-and-lightning, are-these-even-expressions updates from yester-yester, but, yeah... It is no jooooooke.

Maybe two people got that. Inside comedy. Great to be back.

ide
PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 9:04 pm 
Puff in Training Female
Puff in Training

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Well hey everybody! Having this forum back is extremely good news. I loved this place back in 2010 or so, though I only lurked back then.

ide
PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 9:13 pm 
Li'l Traveler Male
Li'l Traveler

I know that I posted this on comments, but I believe that I should express special thanks because this has meant a lot to me.

"This is certainly one the happiest times I've ever had. Seeing Kirby's Rainbow Resort back up and running makes it feel worth getting into Kirby, and my WW2 planes interest only spices it up with WW2 Wings of Duty's development news (Battle of Britain hype!). I thought I was only going to a dead end again, just like what happened to my former obsession with Angry Birds (early 2014). I feel that Kirby and WW2 Wings of Duty have gotten me much farther than any game I've ever gotten into before. Special thanks to Meta Naito for making me a moderator of the Metanaito.net forums. I never though it would go that far. Special thanks to Phanotek, Inc. as well for making my dream of flying WW2 aircraft on mobile devices. I always wanted to get IL-2 1946, but it never came to fruition. Nowadays, I get to fly some of my favorite fighter planes such as the Hellcat, Corsair, P-47, eventually P-51, Me-109, Fw-190, Spitfire, etc. As for Kirby, I get to communicate with fans online through forums and Reddit. I've never done this before. And to you, Mints, for continuing to run this site. I will also give a special thanks to Patchy, who created The Kirby Ciub, for doing something for the Kirby fandom: A dedicated Kirby forum that once held on to continue KRR's legacy."

ide
PostPosted: April 6th, 2016, 10:35 pm 
Water Drop Female
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Adventure
I think I would feel MUCH better about coming back and posting here if there was a cleanup of the forum power structure . . . I see a lot of old accounts still have admin tags and they really really shouldn't.

It kind of needs a cleanup in general too, there's lots of ancient announcements and such that could be trashed.

ide
PostPosted: April 6th, 2016, 10:51 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

Shadow Wolf75 is right, there are a lot of ancient topics lying about. I see topics which are interesting only to find that they're literally older than the Wii U is, or even the original Wii and honestly it's a little off-putting. Maybe because this is sort of a "reboot" for the site the more prominent topics could be archived and the less important ones be deleted and replaced by newer discussions. It does sound kinda obvious, but it'll help clear out the forums of old junk and make it feel more fresh.

The power structure is something I didn't concern myself with when I was still a lurker so I can't comment on it, except for saying that I can't comment on it.

ide
PostPosted: April 7th, 2016, 12:21 am 
Li'l Traveler Male
Li'l Traveler

Various portions of the area are very disorganized. There are many pointless topics with little to no posts that I think should be removed. From the downfall until the revival, almost all the topics in the past few years that old extremely dedicated member posted have absolutely zero replies. Literally almost everything in Crimson Caverns is outdated, but I believe that the important threads and announcements should be kept. I oppose the deletion of major threads and announcements. The history of Kirby's Rainbow Resort should remain online for future generations of Kirby fans to see. I felt very bad when The Kirby Club went black on January 21. We lost a lot of Kirby fandom history from that site. Archive.org doesn't have that many pages of it saved either.

ide
PostPosted: April 7th, 2016, 7:40 am 
Waddle Doo Male
Waddle Doo

Shadow Wolf75 wrote:
I see a lot of old accounts still have admin tags and they really really shouldn't.

I did that before this place was re-opened. Here are the current admins and mods: Debageldond, Fighter Kirby, kindarspirit, glod, Joshi, Silver Magi, and Minon (who I actually thought I already demodded, what with him having active complaints levied against him in the past).

What you are seeing are custom ranks which say "Hey, I'm an admin, aren't I awesome?" I'm not changing custom rank images to say that people aren't admins; I don't care enough.

A big belief I have always had is that moderator status should not be handed out to people because they are friends with other mods. In fact, this is the worst possible reason to make someone a mod, and it was something KRR was rife with. I've dropped status from everyone who isn't a KRR legend and hasn't been around in years and years (which is why glod and Joshi still have it -- also, having moderators that you've had disagreements with in the past keeps you honest).

Shadow Wolf75 wrote:
It kind of needs a cleanup in general too, there's lots of ancient announcements and such that could be trashed.

As goldie said, simply no. I disabled auto-pruning on ever forum other than DynaBlade's Arcade; as I said for the main site, I hate content deletion. What is it people have against history so much? Old topics don't hurt anyone, and they provide valuable resources for anyone who is searching for that time that person said that thing.

Are there topics that need to be unstickied? Probably. As far as Crimson Cavern announcements go, every last one is staying. Just because it is old doesn't mean it never happened, and if you see it is old, then you should know it is old and affected the time it was posted. I don't how this can be confusing.

ide
PostPosted: April 7th, 2016, 12:15 pm 
Water Drop Female
Water Drop

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Adventure
Mints wrote:
What you are seeing are custom ranks which say "Hey, I'm an admin, aren't I awesome?" I'm not changing custom rank images to say that people aren't admins; I don't care enough.

A big belief I have always had is that moderator status should not be handed out to people because they are friends with other mods. In fact, this is the worst possible reason to make someone a mod, and it was something KRR was rife with. I've dropped status from everyone who isn't a KRR legend and hasn't been around in years and years (which is why glod and Joshi still have it -- also, having moderators that you've had disagreements with in the past keeps you honest).

Having survived many instances of this sort of thing over the years, just wanted to make sure all the bases were covered. They are, so that's good. (Incidentally you may want to make a 'current mods' announcement, so said info is known to all as opposed to just being buried in this thread)

Also, you'll note I didn't say 'delete'. Unsticky or toss in Curio's Museum, either works.

ide
PostPosted: April 7th, 2016, 2:51 pm 
Son of Wind Male
Son of Wind

Yeah, I'm the one who directly brought up deleting the topics. It was only a suggestion since I saw a fair amount of them which only had one post in them, so I thought they would be adding too much clutter. Whatever Mints says goes, though, and I'm cool with his reasoning. This place does have an air of history about it, so it makes sense to embrace it. I do think it would be best if the old stuff was put in an archive instead, since it would be out of the way but still around for anyone who wants it.

ide
PostPosted: April 7th, 2016, 7:54 pm 
Waddle Doo Male
Waddle Doo

Shadow Wolf75 wrote:
Incidentally you may want to make a 'current mods' announcement, so said info is known to all as opposed to just being buried in this thread

That info is under the normal "The team" link. I was just trying not to draw attention to it since it is one of the pages with a pesky SQL error since the phpBB upgrade.

ide
PostPosted: April 27th, 2016, 1:47 am 
Puff in Training A_mystery
Puff in Training

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Return to Dream Land
I feel like this site has already run its course, but as an archival nut I'm inclined to ask if you have anything of the non-PPP boards from pre-2007, as there are some old posts I'd like to find

Thanks ^_^

ide
PostPosted: April 27th, 2016, 9:07 pm 
Waddle Doo Male
Waddle Doo

If it isn't in the Curio's museum, then I don't have it, and unless someone else who was in charge back then was backing it up, no body does.

I don't know why Disk felt the need to prune so much. Archives are worth much more than the minor performance improvements, in my opinion. Doubt it could be that much at a place this size.

ide
PostPosted: May 5th, 2016, 1:01 am 
Puff in Training Male
Puff in Training

i would love to make some snide comment but you deserve props for resurrecting the forum

cheers, hoss

ide
PostPosted: May 9th, 2016, 6:23 pm 
Violent Saviour Male
Violent Saviour

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star
Well I'll be damned, there's still a pulse.

<3 <3 I love you Fighter Kirby <3 <3

<3 Teal Kirby

ide
PostPosted: May 10th, 2016, 6:47 pm 
Puff in Training Male
Puff in Training

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Epic Yarn
Thanks for reviving the forums! ;> :lol:

ide
PostPosted: May 20th, 2016, 6:41 pm 
Watch out, I bite! Male
Watch out, I bite!

So this place is still on life support huh? Not sure I have anything of value to say. I guess it's nice somebody is trying to do something with it.