It is currently December 13th, 2019, 10:06 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

ide
 Post subject: Language filters.
PostPosted: June 10th, 2010, 9:30 pm 
bum roll Female
bum roll

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star
Currently the word filters don't affect language in user profiles. So please try to be mature about what you put in there, and refrain from cursing.

update: This also applies to images to images, I'm afraid. If your image has swearing in it, please provide a hyperlink and a warning instead. I know it sort of ruins everything, but a few of the younger members (there are a handful who are even too young to sign up but enjoy browsing) whose parents are over their shoulders will really appreciate it. =)

If you're worried about the filters mutilating your URL, try something along the lines of

Code:
[url=http://www.theurlgoeshere.com/images/pottymouth.jpg]haha funny pic (swearing)!![/url]

alternately use bit.ly or imgur or something, it's not that difficult! =)

I also have to point out that "no excessive swearing" is in the official forum rules along with "no making people feel bad." So, while "holy @$#^ i'm so happy that kirby wii is out!" could be acceptable since the word filter will pick it up anyway, "what the !@#$% is this @$#^?" in regards to someone's forum topic or post is just bad.

ide
 Post subject: Re: Language filters.
PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 3:09 pm 
bum roll Female
bum roll

bump oh no everyone look

ide
PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 9:46 pm 
WAR! What it isn't good for. HUNH Male
WAR! What it isn't good for. HUNH

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby Super Star Ultra
I happen to agree with this, I know what it's like to have somebody peering over your shoulders while on a forum. It can be quite irritating for them to see a swear, in a picture or otherwise, and then I happen to get strange looks...

ide
PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 10:19 pm 
bum roll Female
bum roll

I know, I had to go through that when I was 10-14 years old too ;) then i got my own computer for my room for christmas.

ide
PostPosted: June 17th, 2010, 12:59 pm 
WAR! What it isn't good for. HUNH Male

Lucky... even if I got my own computer, I wouldn't even get to have it in my room. at least, I wouldn't have Internet connected to it...

ide
PostPosted: June 17th, 2010, 3:52 pm 
Watch out, I bite! Male
Watch out, I bite!

My boyfriend does this to me a lot, he comes over to my corner and watches what I type, it's kind of annoying.

Then he teases me for viewing a Kirby site, haha.

ide
PostPosted: June 17th, 2010, 7:24 pm 
Christmas Present #5 Male
Christmas Present #5

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 3
I've never really sworn in here anyhow.. So, none of this really effects me... Yay!

ide
PostPosted: June 18th, 2010, 2:25 pm 
bum roll Female
bum roll

I don't see a reason to. Excessive swearing is one of the biggest giveaways that someone is a 13-14 year old trying to act like a grownup.

ide
PostPosted: June 18th, 2010, 5:27 pm 
Christmas Present #5 Male
Christmas Present #5

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby's Dream Land 3
Amika wrote:
I don't see a reason to. Excessive swearing is one of the biggest giveaways that someone is a 13-14 year old trying to act like a grownup.

Precisely why I don't do it, in excess it's completely childish. I can convey my thoughts perfectly, and often eloquently, without the use of any vulgarity.

Something I'm glad to see all across the site.

ide
PostPosted: June 20th, 2010, 7:10 pm 
Biospark Male
Biospark

Lord Deguass wrote:
Amika wrote:

Precisely why I don't do it, in excess it's completely childish. I can convey my thoughts perfectly, and often eloquently, without the use of any vulgarity.

It's mostly forced.

ide
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2010, 12:45 am 
bum roll Female
bum roll

NJ Ninja wrote:
Lord Deguass wrote:
Amika wrote:

It's mostly forced.

Actually, this wasn't even an issue until a certain member kept pottymouthing in his forum profile, NJ Ninja.

ide
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2010, 11:25 am 
Biospark Male
Biospark

Amika wrote:
NJ Ninja wrote:
It's mostly forced.

Actually, this wasn't even an issue until a certain member kept pottymouthing in his forum profile, NJ Ninja.

Actually, I'd had that on there for probably almost a year and either nobody noticed or cared enough to say anything until now.

There's only been one occasion I've seen where anyone's taken even mild offense to profanity, and that was on the #krr chat.

ide
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2010, 11:42 am 
WAR! What it isn't good for. HUNH A_mystery

Favorite Kirby Game: Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Then you haven't been paying enough attention.

DUN DUN DAAAAH

ide
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2010, 2:06 pm 
bum roll Female
bum roll

Plus, lately the forums are getting a lot more active now, and I know for a fact there are a group of unregestered 10-to-12 year olds browsing this forum regularly. Our userbase is expanding again, and, being a Kirby community, it's good to cater to younger members who might have (like Riolu said) strict parents or site blockers or whatever.

ide
PostPosted: June 25th, 2010, 2:51 am 
Watch out, I bite! Male
Watch out, I bite!

Actually, it's not so much catering to younger members. Kids are far from innocent these days, countless times on the streets I've seen children shout profanities without any repercussions, but I digress.

The thing is, profanity can be seen as rude or offensive by people. Sure, there are probably a lot of those who wouldn't care or be phased by it at all, but there's always going to be those who'd like to avoid using it and seeing it.

Yes, KRR has language filters, but thankfully users have the option to turn them on and off. Those who leave them on are those who want to avoid seeing such things, and it would be rude and disrespectful to them to force them to see it every time somebody posted, or they went to check out a profile.

I have filters off, but if I had them on, I know I'd become pretty annoyed if I was forced to constantly see something I was purposely trying to avoid.

tl;dr Keeping profanity out of sigs and images is common decency and is being respectful towards everybody.

ide
PostPosted: June 25th, 2010, 1:42 pm 
a friendly ghost A_mystery
a friendly ghost

Plas Durock wrote:
Actually, it's not so much catering to younger members. Kids are far from innocent these days, countless times on the streets I've seen children shout profanities without any repercussions, but I digress.

The thing is, profanity can be seen as rude or offensive by people. Sure, there are probably a lot of those who wouldn't care or be phased by it at all, but there's always going to be those who'd like to avoid using it and seeing it.

Yes, KRR has language filters, but thankfully users have the option to turn them on and off. Those who leave them on are those who want to avoid seeing such things, and it would be rude and disrespectful to them to force them to see it every time somebody posted, or they went to check out a profile.

I have filters off, but if I had them on, I know I'd become pretty annoyed if I was forced to constantly see something I was purposely trying to avoid.

tl;dr Keeping profanity out of sigs and images is common decency and is being respectful towards everybody.

I'd say that it's definitely catering to younger members, but that's not all, since there's some older people who don't like crude language too. Personally I don't mind it either way, but I don't use it that much.

As for "the kids are far from innocent", you may have a valid point, but the way I've tried to describe it to other people in the past is like this. Kids are going to hear swearing from some place, whether it be a movie, TV, game, magazine, book, or what have you, so that kind of thing is pretty unavoidable. But we're trying to have a 'clean' environment for people to hang out in, including the young, unregistered members who may or may not have parents watching their activities. So kids not being innocent shouldn't affect our viewpoint on kids browsing the forums.

ide
PostPosted: June 25th, 2010, 9:40 pm 
Watch out, I bite! Male
Watch out, I bite!

I never said it should, and I was actually agreeing with the ref of the staff who posted. :)

ide
PostPosted: June 25th, 2010, 9:58 pm 
a friendly ghost A_mystery
a friendly ghost

And I never said that you said it should, nor did I say you were disagreeing with anyone.

ide
PostPosted: June 25th, 2010, 9:59 pm 
bum roll Female
bum roll

take it easy

ide
PostPosted: June 25th, 2010, 10:08 pm 
Watch out, I bite! Male
Watch out, I bite!

Well, alright, it just looked to me like you thought I was implying something. I apologize :)